No longer regarded as just a Vegas knock-off, Macau has surpassed the famous strip to become the most successful gambling capital in the world. Now home to 40 casinos, which of these glittering gaming dens is the best bet for you?
If you’re temped to have a lucky flutter, Macau has become the place. Since 2006, it’s regularly been raking in as much as five times more in annual casino revenue than Vegas. So much so, it’s now the world’s most successful gaming capital.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
According to The Economist, on average, gamblers lay down US$1,354 in Macau casinos compared to just US$156 in Las Vegas. This is thought to be due to China’s rapidly developing middle class who have a big appetite for gambling.
With over 40 shiny new casinos to choose from in Macau, there’s bound to be one where you can strike it lucky. Take your pick from our recommended list.
The Venetian Macao
Macau itself may be small, but not when it comes to casinos. In fact, The Venetian is home to the world’s biggest casino. With 376,000 square feet of gaming space, there’s plenty of room, and chances, for you to place your best bet. There’s no less than 640 gaming tables (baccarat being the most common, alongside blackjack, sic bo and roulette) and 1,760 slot machines.
Furthermore, The Venetian has 3,000 guest suites, more than 30 restaurants – from Michelin-starred fine dining to intimate bars and cafés – four outdoor swimming pools, over 330 retail shops, and even an 18-hole rooftop golf course.
An icon of Macau’s skyline, at 856 ft, Grand Lisboa is the city’s tallest building. Shaped like a giant golden lotus flower, it’s about as attention-grabbing as casinos come. Inside, the gaming space isn’t too shabby either. The casino has over 230 gaming tables and 880 slot machines. Games available include baccarat, blackjack, Carribean stud poker, American Roulette, sic bo, 3 card baccarat and fortune wheel. Bets range from a minimum of HK$300 ($38.35) up to a whopping HK$5 million.
In addition, Grand Lisboa offers 430 rooms and suites, as well as some of the city’s best fine dining restaurants. Among them are the three Michelin star Robuchon au Dome (European cuisine) and three Michelin star The Eight (Chinese cuisine), as well as several other food and beverage offerings, a luxury spa, outdoor swimming pool, and daily entertainment shows.
Wynn loves elegance and with this casino it shows. Costing a staggering US$4.2 billion to construct, it delivers on the promise of its name by being nothing short of palatial. In total, the casino itself offers more than 1,000 slot machines and live table games. This includes 350 gaming tables where guests can enjoy playing roulette, blackjack, poker variations and many others.
Wynn Palace is also home to 1,706 rooms and suites, Macau’s largest spa, more than a dozen fine dining and casual dining restaurants, as well as stunning floral creations and artworks. Meanwhile, guests can enjoy entering the resort via air-conditioned Sky Cabs flying over an 8-acre, 325,000-square foot Performance Lake.
MGM Cotai opened to the cost of US$3.2 billion in February 2018. The exterior of the glitzy resort is designed to resemble a jewellery box. Inside, it’s no less impressive. The casino features 177 gaming tables (12 for VIP customers) and 1,500 slot machines.
The property offers 1,390 rooms and suites, which include 16 Skylofts and 27 Mansion Villas. Guests can enjoy several dining and drinking options, a luxury spa, and an abundance of art. The star attraction is The Spectacle: 25 LED walls, four-stories high, located in the atrium displaying digital artworks and even visitor-generated content. There’s also more than 300 contemporary Asian paintings and sculptures, as well as 28 Chinese imperial carpets that date back to the Qing Dynasty and once adorned the Forbidden City in Beijing.
As the newest kid on the strip, the US$1.1 billion Morpheus casino (named after the Greek god of dreams) aims to become a new landmark in Macau. Visually striking, with an absence of supporting walls or columns, it’s the world’s first tower to be wrapped in and supported by a free-form exoskeleton. Having opened in June 2018 and designed by renowned Zaha Hadid Architects, Morpheus currently offers 40 gaming tables, but more are expected to be added next year.
The property features 772 guest rooms, suites and villas, an in-house spa, restaurants by star chefs such as Alain Ducasse, and a sky pool that is 130 metres above the ground.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.