These five dreamy ancient towns in Guangxi exude charm. Some are speckled with karst mountains, others are known for picturesque ancient cobblestone streets, and all have a local population that will enchant visitors.
This 2,000-year-old town was once a booming trade center, thanks to the 37-kilometer Lingqu Canal that runs through it, connecting the Xiangjiang and Zhujiang Rivers. Sure, it’s sleepier now, but there’s still plenty to do. Walk down Water Street and pop into art studios, music stores, and visit the various bridges and pavilions. When you tire of shopping and leisurely strolling, remember that Xing’an is also a jumping-off point for high-altitude adventure. Just 50 kilometers from downtown sits Maoer Mountain, the highest peak in South China.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This 800-year-old town is a haven for traditional artists. Here, craftsmen create elaborately-painted paper fans, ranging from sizes portable in purses to those that could cover a whole wall. Many depict the regional flowers, karst mountains, river scenes or have Chinese characters written in broad pen strokes across the folds. Once you’ve had your fill of art, check out the ancient architecture, meander along the Li River, or hike up Feifeng, Parrot or Horse Hill.
Ping’An, one of the three towns considered part of the Longji Terraced Fields Scenic Area in Longsheng County, is easily the most captivating of the lot. From the gate, take the steep cobblestone steps past the shopping area up into the town, where you’ll find family homes sandwiched between restaurants and hotels atop the misty rice terraces. Get yourself some rice wine (your hotel owner probably makes some or at the very least knows a guy) and take one of the trails upwards to watch the sunset paint the water on the terraces shades of pretty pastels.
Officially, the national flower of China is the plum blossom, but a walk through this 1,000-year-old town would have you believing it was water lilies. They’re everywhere. In the ponds, painted on walls, and used in a myriad of art forms all over town. Explore the cobblestone streets, snack on dried meats, and see if you can get some local men to teach you how to play mahjong.
Once upon a time, Daxu was a hub of trading (its name literally translates to “big market”). You can still see some of the vestiges from when the town was booming on the two-kilometer long street (the only street in town, really) that runs parallel to the Li River. The stone street is flanked with two-story wooden homes festooned with red lanterns, with the bottom floor of many being repurposed into handicraft shops.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.