Whether you’re trying to get away from the heat or soak it all in, China has the perfect summer destination for you. From the al fresco bars of Shanghai all the way to the Mt. Everest base camp in Tibet, here are the best things to see and do in the summer.
Embrace the Beijing bikini
During the summer, most of China gets hot, hot, hot, with temperatures rising into the 30s (°C (86°F upwards)) and beyond. Some ingenious men have taken to beating the heat by rolling their shirts up above their bellies and sporting a look that has become affectionately known as the ‘Beijing bikini.’ Go to the place it all began, Beijing, and enjoy a summer with the best of them. While you’re there, check out the aptly named Summer Palace, and, of course, the Great Wall.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Heat up in the Gobi Desert
Spreading out across northwest China up into Mongolia is one of the world’s largest deserts, the Gobi. You may think that summer in the arid land would be unbearable, but the weather is typically moderate and comfortable. Although temperatures have been known to soar to as high as 49°C (120°F), an average summer day in the Gobi Desert sees a range between just 9°C (48°F) and 23°C (73°F). Take a flight to Gansu province and make your way over to Dunhuang, where you can embark on a camel trek through the dunes.
Cool off on Mt. Everest
Mt. Everest is not just in Nepal; in fact, the northern base camp is situated well within China’s Tibetan borders. During the summer, buses are allowed to drive up to the base camp, saving you the (literally) breathtaking climb. Be aware that you must secure two separate permits from the Chinese government in order to make the journey: one for the mountain itself, and another for the Tibetan Autonomous Region.
Relax on the beach in Xiamen
Want to be a beach bum all summer but avoid the tourist-packed Hainan Island? Go to Xiamen instead, where the beaches are well-kept – not just in appearance, but also as secrets. This former British colonial city is known for being one of China’s most livable, and the beaches of pedestrian-only Gulangyu Island are the perfect relaxing summer destinations.
Hold on to spring in Kunming
Kunming is the capital of and largest city in Yunnan province. Nicknamed the ‘Spring City’ for its mild climate known in Chinese as si ji ru chun, or “spring all year round,” Kunming is more than just the jumping off point for other Yunnan destinations. In 2003, the city was listed among the top ten best summer resort cities and itself has some unmissable attractions, namely Yuantong Temple, Dianchi Lake and Guandu Old Town.
Celebrate the Dragon Boat Festival in Hunan
There are few more recognizably Chinese holidays than the Dragon Boat Festival, celebrated each year on the fifth day of the fifth month of the lunar calendar. On this day, people around the county gorge themselves on zongzi and watch sportsmen vie for the title of fastest boat. The legend behind the festival has it that after the poet Qu Yuan drowned himself in Hunan’s Miluo River, admirers raced out to try to save him. When they couldn’t find him, they dropped balls of rice into the river so the fish would eat them instead of Qu Yuan’s body. Today, you can celebrate Dragon Boat Festival where it all began, on the Miluo River in Hunan.
Dine al fresco in Shanghai
There are few better ways to beat the heat than by enjoying a cold drink surrounded by a warm breeze. Shanghai is the best place to do this, with endless bars and restaurants around the city offering al fresco dining. For many options all in one place, try the sunken expat-refuge of Found 158, or opt for the swankier versions on the Bund.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.