A city of more than 30 million, the streets of Shanghai are full of people from all walks of life – from hipsters and fashionistas to Chinese migrants, Shanghainese grandmothers in wild outfits, and dogs in even wilder ones. This is part of the metropolis’ beauty, and one cannot appreciate Shanghai’s true personality without spending time taking in its fascinating, diverse crush of humanity. Here are some of the best ways to take in the exuberant street life, one lane at a time.
Early morning: Hit the parks
Green space is a luxury in a city as big as Shanghai, and residents take full advantage of the public space, using it to socialize, exercise, and sometimes simply to watch the world go by. In the tiny Huaihai Park, you’ll find groups of older men gossiping as their mynah birds and Chinese thrush sing to each other from cages. The spacious Fuxing Park, built by the French in 1909, hosts a broader range of morning visitors. You’ll find groups of women line dancing to music blaring from the loudspeakers they tote in on their carts – tunes varying from Country Western to traditional Chinese and Lady Gaga. You’ll also find residents practicing Tai Chi, fencing with swords, and painting poems in calligraphy on sidewalks using water. If you’re lucky, an ad hoc brass band may also show up. It’s an altogether convivial atmosphere. Post up on a bench, and watch the world go by.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
After spending time in a park, grab a coffee and delicious baked good at the rough-hewn communal table of Baker & Spice on Anfu Road (or sit street side, if the weather is good). Here, under the leafy boughs of the plane trees, you can watch the mix of people in business suits hurrying to work, men riding bikes loaded down with styrofoam and boxes and hipsters on their fixies zooming off to face the day.
Happy hour: Yongkang Road
When drink o’clock rolls around, head down to Yongkang Road for a well-priced tipple and more interesting people than you can shake a stick at. While not quite as wild a place as it was a few years ago (the bars got too rowdy for their own good), the short street is still an interesting place to grab a beer at Taphouse Brewery. When the munchies hit, head around the corner to Hungry Lungs Kitchen, where you’ll find a mix of Canadian and Southeast Asian comfort food like poutine and laksa. It sounds like a weird combination, but it really works.
Nighttime magic: The Bund
For a glance at the glitterati of the city, head out for an evening on the Bund. First, promenade with the tourists along the banks of the Huangpu River. Then head to The Nest, one of Shanghai’s hottest spots in the area. The combination bar, restaurant, and nightclub offers striking design, high-end snacks, and clever cocktails centered around Grey Goose vodka. Post up at the bar and get a peep at the fashionable crew bobbing to the throbbing music. As the night continues, move on to Bar Rouge in Bund 18, where you’ll find folks dressed to the nines in sexy surroundings. You may see a few tables ordering bottles of champagne, replete with sparklers and singing. On the weekends, plan on showing up before 11pm, as the places fill up quickly.
The Nest, 6/F, 130 East Beijing Road, Shanghai, China, +86 (0)21 6308 7669
Bar Rouge, Bund 18, 7/F, 18 East 1st Zhongshan Road, Shanghai, China, +86 (0)21 6339 1199
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.