While its streets are beautiful, Shanghai is best viewed from above. What better way to get a bird’s eye view of the twinkling city lights than with a drink in hand? Shanghai’s rooftop bars were created with just that in mind. Whether the vibe is peak relaxation or high end living, these 10 bars are all about the view.
Bar Rouge is the quintessential Shanghai club. Located on the Bund and welcoming some of the cities most fashionable people, the bar also has a huge terrace that offers unbeatable views of the Lujiazui financial district skyline. Dress smart if you expect to get in and remember to have your camera on hand to capture these experiences.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Located on the top floor of the Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden Hotel, JZ Latino is a jazz bar with amazing rooftop views. Look down on winding streets and old Shanghai lane houses and enjoy soulful tunes as you do so. Culture Trip recommends checking it out on a Monday when the space plays host to a free swing dancing night. Work up a sweat inside then step out on the roof and feel the breeze.
Daga Brewpub is one of the most unique bars in Shanghai, specializing in craft beers from around China. The vibe is laid back, especially on the wide open rooftop terrace. The views may be less flashy than those of its Bund-side compatriots, but Daga’s rooftop is perfect for summertime day drinking or after work imbibing.
At the top of the Shanghai Hyatt on the Bund is decadent rooftop bar VUE, which offers views of both sides of the river. Bring your swimwear and get splashy in the hot tub overlooking the Shanghai skyline. Of course, an experience like this costs a pretty penny, but it’s worth shelling out for.
You won’t find Fat Mama on most Shanghai rooftop bar lists, but it deserves a fair chance. This under the radar pizza place and wine bar has the coziest little rooftop area wicker seating and a vine covered turret that will make you feel like royalty. You wont have to pay royal prices, especially during happy hour.
Captain’s Bar may be located on the Bund, but it is actually one of the cheapest ways to get your drink on in the city. It is located on the roof of popular backpackers haunt Captain Hostel and has excellent views of the British colonial style buildings of the Bund and the skyscrapers on the other side of the river.
Located at the top of the Ritz Carlton Shanghai Pudong, Flair is so close to the Pearl Tower, patrons can nearly reach out and touch it. Snack on Asian fusion tapas and lounge on one of 132 outdoor seats and feel like the city was built just for you. The terrace offers split level views of the city, and the prices are about as high as the bar itself.
Casual French wine bar Kartel is located in the heart of the former French Concession and features one of the largest rooftop terraces in the city, which offers 360 degree panoramic views just about the treetops. The space is perfect for a summertime happy hour and is also great for private events.
In conjunction with popular Bund side Italian restaurant Goodfellas downstairs, the Fellas brings pizza up a notch and throws in wine, beer, and cocktails. The real draw, though, is the wraparound terrace. With comfortable seating and views of the Shanghai skyline, the Fellas is a great place to bring an out of town guest you want to impress.
Offering unobstructed views of the Huangpu River, Char Bar at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund is a classy affair. As the name suggests, the bar cum restaurant specializes in steak. The establishment promises that its flavors are some of the boldest in Shanghai and claims that the views will impress even the worldliest of travelers.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.