Hebei, meaning East of the River, lies in China’s northeast, just above the Yellow River. Like its neighbor Beijing, Hebei experiences hot summers and very cold winters, with snowfall guaranteed to paint the cities white at the beginning of each year. It has a storied history and leaves behind relics of its imperial past in the forms of tombs and temples dotted throughout the province. While many associate the province with its many mega-cities, Hebei is also home to vast natural landscapes, from the mountains in the north and west to the Bohai Sea in the east.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Shijiazhuang is the capital and largest city in Hebei. The city itself, like many in China, suffers from serious pollution, particularly in the winter. However, lying just east of the Taihang Mountains, Shijiazhuang offers plenty of escapes into nature. Some of the highlights in and around the city include Zhaozhou Bridge, considered the oldest stone bridge in the world; Cangyan Mountain, the filming location of the final scenes in the film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; and the Tang dynasty-era Pilu Monastery.
Located just 150 kilometers (93 miles) southwest of Beijing, Baoding tends to get overshadowed by its neighbor. Like the national capital, Baoding contains many notable historic sites. However, unlike Beijing, Baoding is not overcrowded with tourists. There’s the Wulonggou section of the Great Wall, known for its high density of watchtowers, and there are Western Qing tombs and centuries-old pagodas. Ruins, pavilions, temples—yes, Baoding contains them all.
As one of the host cities for the 2022 Winter Olympics, Zhangjiakou is a name you should get to know now. Nicknamed the “Gateway to Beijing,” Zhangjiakou is strategically located between the Mongolian Plateau and the North China Plain. Within the city, you will find Dajing Gate, the only gate on the Great Wall of China, and outside of the city, you can enjoy towering mountains and the winding Sangyang River.
Other Travel Destinations
Beijing isn’t the only place to see the Great Wall of China, and some may argue it’s not even the best. At Shanhaiguan in Hebei, the Great Wall meets the sea. It is here that invading Manchu forces entered China and established the country’s last dynasty, the Qing. The area is also a place to enjoy less crowded sections of the Great Wall, with some restored and others in hikeable ruins, than one finds in Beijing.
Chengde Mountain Resort
Chengde Mountain Resort is a large imperial palace and gardens complex dating back to the Qing dynasty. Once a favorite getaway of China’s imperial court and literati, Chengde is still an escape, albeit a more accessible one. The scenic spots on-site are designed in traditional Chinese form, with landscaped gardens similar to ones you see in Suzhou.
Famous for being one of the best beaches in China, Beidaihe draws sun-seeking tourists from across the country and Russia. As such, it can get crowded in the hot months and is perhaps best to avoid during peak seasons. However, for those visiting in the fall or spring, Beidaihe offers a relaxing getaway from the nearby city of Qinhuangdao.
While Hebei has many mountains to choose from, Tuoliang, meaning Camel Back, is easily one of the most beautiful. Home to nearly 100 waterfalls and several natural springs, Tuoliang is a nature lover’s paradise.
As one of China’s leading agricultural provinces, Hebei has no shortage of locally cultivated delicacies. The lakes and sea of Hebei provide diners with plenty of fresh seafood, prepared simply. The cuisine favors strong and savory flavors and relies on the wild game of the province’s mountains and valleys. One of the most popular dishes is donkey burgers, which, ironically, are sourced from outside of Hebei, as far away as Burkina Faso.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.