A global lockdown in the midst of a widespread pandemic sounds like a story plucked straight out of the head of Black Mirror creator Charlie Brooker. But robot dogs patrolling parks to control social distancing? We report on the hi-tech kit that’s helping in the fight against coronavirus.
Robot dogs actually did patrol parks in a Black Mirror episode, Metalhead. In that instance it did not end well. However, along with other state-of-the-art technology, robot dogs are actually on humanity’s side in the effort to contain Covid-19. Here are some of our favourite examples of how robots are being deployed.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Singapore robot dog
No, it’s not a machine gun mounted on a dog-shaped robot. It’s a 360-degree camera. The Singaporean government released the machine, named Spot, into Bishan-Ang Mo Kio Park on a two-week trial, with a mission to remind park dwellers to maintain social distancing. The robohound, built by US robotics firm Boston Dynamics, gently announces messages such as: “For your own safety and for those around you, please stand at least 1m apart. Thank you,” and, “Let’s keep Singapore healthy,” when it detects a compact group of people. Spot is controlled remotely to reduce physical contact and uses analytics to report the number of people in the park.
Chinese hospital robots
Guangdong Provincial People’s Hospital in Guangzhou, southern China, has deployed a pair of R2-D2-like robots to assist their medical teams, as reported by the South China Morning Post. Their functions include delivering medicines, meals, quilts and clothes; disinfecting hospital rooms, and checking people’s temperatures from a distance. Each bot can take the temperatures of around 10 people simultaneously. When it detects an abnormally high temperature, a built-in camera takes a photograph and reports back to the hospital. These automatons not only ease the burden on medical workers, they also help to reduce the risk of infection in a highly contagious hospital environment.
Thousands of devices, called Temi, are being used in hospitals and care homes around the world, theBBC reports. Hong Kong, China, Japan, Korea and the US are using this screen on wheels to interact with contagious patients. The bots move autonomously from patient to patient, providing remote video chat with doctors; they can also take temperatures from up to 60cm (2ft) away. The screen can be used to video-call family members and friends at home who are currently not allowed to visit hospitals and care homes because of contagion risk. These AI-embedded, voice-activated devices can run on Alexa and other voice platforms.
New York information robot
In February, a person-shaped robot with an electronic smiley face was deployed in New York City’s Times Square to share information to passers-by about coronavirus. Philadelphia tech company Promobot created the machine with a test software, asking questions such as: “Do you have a temperature?”, and “Do you have a headache?” The robot then announces: “Your symptoms show that your health may be at risk” – or not.
Researchers at Tsinghua University in China have developed an advanced robotic device to carry out health tests such as ultrasounds, mouth swabs and temperature checks on patients thought to have the infection, Reuters has reported. The machine can also listen to sounds made by a patient’s organs, a task usually carried out by a stethoscope. Medical staff can control the device remotely, so they don’t need to put themselves at risk. The arm-like contraption can even be controlled by doctors in a different city. So far, the machine is only being used in a hospital in Wuhan, the location where the virus first broke out.
Drone dog walker
It’s not just scientists making use of advanced robots in times of corona. On a smaller scale, an adorable video, published on Facebook by Cypriot Vakis Demetriou, shows a tiny white pooch in Cyprus being walked by a quadcopter air drone. The pet owner decided to get creative in lockdown and used their drone to give his dog, Oliver, its much-needed exercise from the safety of his house.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.