Clothing sharing apps are the latest fashion trend to hit the Chinese market, allowing young professional women to wear the hottest looks, without a huge investment.
As China’s e-commerce market continues to flourish, designer duds are becoming more and more accessible to the everyday shopper, thanks to a new slew of sharing apps, like YCloset, MSParis, and LeTote.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Doris Ke, marketing and PR director for YCloset, a clothing sharing start-up told South China Morning Post: “You don’t really have a culture of having so many parties or gatherings compared to the US; in China, it’s more about everyday wear.” Still, there’s a dearth of affordable yet sleek clothing aimed at millennial women looking for professional and athliesure looks.
Enter sharing apps, which allow subscribers to rent trendy clothing without an investment they would require to purchase the outfits. “It’s very hard to shop for clothes in China,” explains Ke. “You either see a lot of expensive clothing – top-tier luxury you can’t afford – or it’s low-quality clothes that you buy online, and you can’t usually find out if the quality is good or the size is right until you receive the product.”
Some in-demand brands include Prada, Miu Miu, Kenzo, Acne Studios, Topshop, and China’s Masha Ma. The model is comparable to Rent the Runway in the U.S. However, while Rent the Runway is tailored more towards outfitting formal events, Chinese apps like YCloset offer chic looks to update your everyday closet, albeit temporarily. YCloset chief executive Liu Mengyuan says to South China Morning Post that its clothes sharing business will become common on e-commerce platforms.
The Chinese retail market is particularly well-suited to these types of apps, thanks to the global takeoff of the sharing economy. E-commerce giants like Airbnb, eBay, and Uber have paved the way for the success of less traditional forms of capitalism. These aforementioned types of sharing apps are changing the notion of ownership. Last year, a Culture Trip article cited that Chinese shoppers are using retail therapy as an anti-depressant and that fast-fashion, where cheaply made (and cheaply priced) garments are allowing people to buy aspirational goods in order to bolster self-image. However, not only can this trend end up leaving shoppers with a feeling of emptiness after a fleeting high, it’s environmentally irresponsible.
“Globally, levels of production and consumption are forecast to increase as fashion waste becomes an environmental crisis to rival plastic pollution in oceans,” notes an article in The Guardian. “This is a tale of over-production and supply, powered by the relentless ‘fast fashion’ system.” Apps that facilitate clothing sharing are a sound antidote to fast fashion.
And, because it is estimated that more than half the world’s clothing is manufactured in China, resulting in waste of natural resources like water, apps that promote clothing sharing is a step in the right direction—for a healthier, and more ethical industrial China.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.