With the rise of highly Instagrammable hotels and Airbnb’s curated collection of magazine-worthy homes, people simply seem to factor in aesthetics a lot more these days when choosing a place to stay. But what if the new designer hotel wasn’t all about ‘millennial pink’ and metro tiles, but seemingly ordinary?
The mid-range trendy hotel has been on the rise for a while, with many hoteliers jumping on the millennial bandwagon. International hoteliers are now avoiding the previously sought-after ‘greige’ and instead embracing the demand for on-trend, hashtag-able interiors in a bid to curry favour with guests who are hankering after ‘character’ without the colossal price tag.
However, Japanese brand Muji, known for its functional, minimalist aesthetic, is due to open its first series of hotels, and it seems Muji is on to something. There’s not an industrial light fitting, palm-print wallpaper or powder-pink bathroom in sight – instead the brand has stuck firmly to its design principles and is more *ahem* selfie-effacing, seeking to provide ‘a physical experience of the Muji philosophy through the texture of the towels, the placement of the outlets and light switches’.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There’s something truly refreshing about its ‘anti-gorgeous, anti-cheap’ philosophy – Goldilocks might have found just the right bed to sleep in. It’s a brave, middle-ground approach to take, eschewing all trends and gimmicks in favour of honest, well-thought-out design that’s more about the details than the overall look.
Prices start from around £100 a night ($145), with the most expensive being £280 ($385) per night for a spacious 50–60-square-metre room. ‘There are neither exorbitant prices and superfluent services, nor dreary guest rooms resulting from the extreme reduction of quality,’ the brand says. ‘We have arranged for you both a reasonably priced space in which you will sleep well, restoring both mind and body, as well as services that naturally connect you to the locale.’
The brand’s overall ethos is to create products that are ‘really necessary’ for a ‘simple, pleasant life’ and this mindset is also evident in its hotel design, putting basic human needs first, including, quite simply, the importance of a good night’s sleep. As well as the inevitable super-comfortable bed that caters to all sleeping positions, the design mixes warm, natural materials with low-level lighting to provide a relaxing, sleep-inducing space.
In addition, the first of the hotels to open in Shenzhen this month has a 24-hour library of 650 books for guests to borrow, but it’s also open to the general public, with the aim of encouraging travellers to connect with the local communities they’re staying in. A second outpost will be located in the old district of Beijing, which is currently seeing a rise in redevelopment, opening in March 2018. Eventually, Muji also plans to open a hotel in Tokyo’s Ginza area in spring 2019.
While perhaps unremarkable in a way, the new Muji hotel concept is making a statement nonetheless. With even Facebook looking to change its algorithm in order to put its users’ ‘wellbeing’ first after we’ve been mindlessly binge-watching cat videos for the past year or two, Muji is also putting interior design on a diet, with pared-back, thoughtful schemes being the order of the day. So while you might not be instantly reaching for your phone and smugly snapping your usual #bedroomgoals shot for Instagram, isn’t that actually part of the charm? Switch off, and bask in the glory of the mediocre – it’s more comfortable than you might think.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.