Sometimes scale in itself is awe-inspiring, be it a towering mountain or a neon-lit metropolis. These multi-day trips, in some of the world’s largest countries, all offer immersive experiences across large swathes of some of the coolest destinations on the planet.
A lot of the classic bucket-list destinations are, not completely coincidentally, in some of the biggest nations on Earth. The only problem is, how do you plan a trip that fully does the country justice? That’s where Culture Trip steps in with our expertly curated, locally led itineraries that can rack up huge mileage in as little as a week. These are the best big-country trips you can book with us today.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Icons of China by Train
It’s one of the largest nations on the planet, and the most populous, with some of the most famous landmarks of all time, but many travellers find the thought of planning a trip to China too daunting. Well, using the country’s quite remarkable high-speed rail networks, we’ve put together a 10-day trip that shows you the very best of this ancient kingdom. We’ll start in the capital, Beijing, before heading out to Badaling for sunset and sunrise walks on the Great Wall of China. Next up is the ancient old town of Pingyao, followed by Xi’an, home to the famous Army of Terracotta Warriors. Our final stop? The country’s largest city, Shanghai, where we’ll explore ultra modern, neon-lit skyscrapers and take a stunning sunset cruise of Huangpu River, either side of a day trip to the gorgeous old water town of Zhujiajiao. That’s a lot of ground covered in just 10 days, right?
Next available from 24th Feb 2024
Secure your spot with a low deposit
Trip highlights and details
Splendid South Africa
In this case, last is least, since South Africa is the smallest nation on our list. That’s the only time you’ll consider this place small, however, especially if you join our 11-day tour along the Western Cape’s famous garden route. The scale is clear from the outset in the bustling city of Cape Town, the size of which you’ll be able to appreciate best from atop Table Mountain, which you’ll ascend via cable car. The spectacular Cape of Good Hope looks out over the endless watery expanses of both the Indian and Atlantic Oceans, while the Cape Winelands have so many vineyards they built a tram to take you around them all. You’ll explore caves the size of football pitches and get the chance to experience the tallest bridge bungee jump on the planet, if that’s your kind of thing. Our trip ends with a blend of glamour and wilderness only South Africa could provide, as we stay on a 11,000ha (over 27,000 acre) luxury game reserve. Share the infinity pool with towering elephants and giraffes and spot the Big Five on up to four unforgettable safari drives before returning to Cape Town.
Next available from 3rd Feb 2024
Secure your spot with a low deposit
Trip highlights and details
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town, South Africa
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.