November 11 is Singles Day in China for a very simple reason – the number “1”, which symbolizes singularity, features four times in the date. It has been celebrated by singletons in China every year, and has recently even become the biggest shopping festival that generates a profit – more than Black Friday and Cyber Monday combined.
How did Singles Day come into being?
Thanks to the existence of Singles Day, singletons finally shake off their embarrassing status of seeing the lovebirds having the privilege to enjoy all the festivals in the world. The day is believed to have begun in 1993 with four single guys who live in the same dorm in Nanjing University, who came up with the idea of celebrating November 11 as the Singles Day during one of their bedtime talks that always focus on how to end their single life. The day started to be celebrated in Chinese unis and gradually extended to young Chinese people all over the country.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Two ways to celebrate Singles Day
There’s no established ritual for celebrations of the day, though some people would try to endow their single status with enough solemnity by either using all items that are singular on the day, or grabbing every opportunity to say goodbye to Singles Day by finding a date before Nov 12 arrives.
Using singular items that resemble the figure 1
Just like moon cakes are the traditional food for the mid-autumn festival, Singles Day’s traditional food is deep fried dough sticks – divided and eaten in half, as the traditional Chinese breakfast food is made of two flour paste slices stuck to one another. And if you need to take a bus, it has to be the No.11, or you should just walk to your destination. There’s also a gift exchange procedure between single pals, and of course the gift has to be 1-shaped: one chopstick, a box of toothpicks, or a bag of shrimp sticks, a familiar childhood snack of Chinese people.
Seeking a date before Singles Day ends
Though it sounds really desperate and even a little pathetic, it shows how badly some people hate the idea of celebrating their loneliness. Some will take part in blind dates arranged on this day, so that they don’t have to be alone on Singles Day – quite a paradox, isn’t it?
The world’s biggest online shopping event
I don’t have a date, so at least let me love myself by shopping for my favorite things – you have to give credit to Jack Ma’s genius idea of turning Singles Day into the online shopping discount day in 2009. Under the name “Double 11 Shopping Carnival”, Ma’s Alibaba, the e-commerce giant in China, encouraged its shop owners on Taobao and Tmall to give huge, one-day only discounts to customers. The sales on this day kept breaking their own record. Last year, Alibaba ended up with $17.8 billion in sales in 24 hours, while Black Friday and Cyber Monday’s online sales only totaled $6.8 in the same year. And you know what? In the freshly-passed Singles Day this year, it only took three minutes and one second for Alibaba to pass its 10-billion-yuan sales mark, with last year’s record broken once again with $25.3 billion sales in 24 hours.
The skyrocketing sales growth is shocking, and so is the demand for parcels following the shopping fever. During the Double 11 shopping event in 2016, 467 million parcels were dispatched. It has raised concerns over environmental sustainability too, especially considering the fact that China by far doesn’t have a mature waste recycling regulation to respond to the online shopping madness.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.