At a cost of US$1.6 billion, ‘The 13’, in the southern Chinese city of Macau, is set to claim the title as the world’s most luxurious hotel when it opens later this year. Here’s a first look inside the opulent property that has spent US$7 million on each of its 200 guest rooms.
Mention the world’s most luxurious hotel and Emirates Palace in Abu Dhabi or the Burj Al Arab Hotel in Dubai most likely come to mind. However, believe it or not, this year a hotel in the southern Chinese city of Macau looks set to eclipse them in the opulence stakes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Like most things in Macau, the only place in China where casinos are legal, the US $1.6 billion hotel called ‘The 13’ is on track to be as wonderfully over the top as possibly imaginable.
Billed as “the gateway to the refined and the remarkable” when it eventually opens later this year, The 13 will be the most luxurious hotel ever built, and aims to redefine global standards.
Set to resemble a 17th-century palace from the French Baroque period, the 22-storey hotel will feature 200 multi-level villas with an average of US$7 million spent on each one.
All villas come with 24-hour butler service and private elevators that open directly into the villa. The 13’s smallest accommodation, the Villa du Comte, offers guests a generous 2,000 square feet. Moreover, 31 of the villas are even larger, topping out at a monumental 30,000 square feet for its largest – the Villa de Stephen.
For the hotel’s standard Villa du Comte room, each will feature its own private elevator lobby, butler service, and marble Roman bath with enough space for up to eight guests, all decorated in grandiose Baroque style, with stained-glass windows, neoclassical columns and crystal chandeliers. When no one is in the bath it can be concealed by a retractable marble floor.
The bedroom has a king-size, velvet-canopied bed with a carved and gilded Baroque headboard in the royal tradition.
It’s not just the hotel itself that looks set to redefine luxury, as the journey to and from the hotel also looks set to redefine what it means to travel in style. Forget hotel shuttle buses – The 13 has splashed out a whopping US$20 million on a fleet of 30 bespoke, red, extended wheel base Rolls-Royce Phantoms and two highly bespoke gold infused Phantoms which, at the time of commissioning, were the most expensive Rolls-Royce Phantoms ever built.
The Phantoms will chauffeur guests to and from the hotel and be available to guests wanting to visit Macau’s fine dining establishments, casinos or simply appear at business meetings in pure class.
Foodies are in for a treat too, as The 13 will be home to the first outpost of L’Ambroisie outside of Paris – the only Parisian restaurant to have maintained three Michelin stars continuously since 1988.
In addition, the hotel will also feature L’Atelier, the world’s first private, invitation-only shopping experience featuring haute couture and high jewellery by the world’s leading luxury brands.
It’s been reported that a night at The 13 could cost you as much as US$100,000 for the largest villa. The hotel has pulled out all the stops when it comes to both accommodation and service. Every butler has been trained by the prestigious MCM Palace Consultants in Paris and certified by the English Guild of Butlers, while the Rolls-Royce Phantom chauffeurs were trained in England.
The ultra-luxury hotel is a project by The 13 Holdings Ltd, whose company’s joint chairman is the flamboyant Chinese billionaire Stephen Hung, known for his extravagant lifestyle and luxury car collection.
The property is almost near completion and is located just off Macau’s famous Cotai Strip. From the outside it’s hard to miss – the hotel’s striking exterior resembles a royal red robe wrapped around a crystal core, topped off with a 20-metre (66-feet) diamond. It was designed by leading architect Peter Marino, who has previously designed flagship stores for the likes of Chanel, Louis Vuitton and Christian Dior.
No official opening date has been announced for the hotel yet, but all reports suggest The 13 will open its gilded gates by the end of the year.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.