An art form once seen as vulgar and pedestrian has become an integral part of modern Chinese culture. This is the story of Xiangsheng.
Long before Abbott and Costello had American audiences rolling on the floor with their “Who’s on First?” routine, Chinese comedians were performing a similar type of comedy called Xiangsheng. No one is sure when exactly the art form was born, but estimates put it in the mid-1800s toward the end of the Qing dynasty.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Xiangsheng translates roughly to “cross-talk” and typically involves two performers bantering back and forth with a set of four core skills: speaking, imitating, teasing, and singing. Since Xiangsheng’s birth, performers have stretched the limits of its definition, and, today, it is not uncommon to see the comedy style performed solo or in groups.
When it began, Xiangsheng was performed on the street, thus classifying it as low-brow. However, upon the Communist takeover in 1949, its humble beginnings transformed it into a proletarian art form, and Xiangsheng moved from the street to the stage.
To this day, Xiangsheng has always been performed in the Beijing dialect or standard Mandarin. This helped it gain popularity in the mid 1900s, as Mao Zedong set out on a mission to promote Mandarin speaking nationwide. During this time, Xiangsheng performer Hou Baolin, considered by many to be China’s answer to Charlie Chaplain, led a campaign to de-vulgarize the comedy style and make it more politically correct.
Still, Xiangsheng was not immune from the Cultural Revolution, and the art form sadly declined during the 1960s and ’70s as a result. It picked up speed toward the end of the decade, however, as performers began using it as a way to criticize politicians. Many performers at the time created banter mocking the infamous Gang of Four as well as the excesses of the time.
Since then, Xiangsheng has enjoyed waves of decline and resurgence. It has also picked up foreign fans, most notably Canadian comedian Mark Roswell, known better by his Chinese name, Dashan. Roswell gained fame in the early 1990s after being asked to perform a Xiangsheng sketch on the nationally broadcast CCTV New Year’s Gala. After his initial performance, Roswell began studying Xiangsheng under comedian Jiang Kun and was officially inducted into the “9th generation” of Xiangsheng performers. As Xiangsheng requires an extreme mastery of the Chinese language, Roswell remained and continues to remain in the Chinese spotlight and is considered the idol of many Mandarin language learners around the world.
Xiangsheng is not for everyone, though. Many young people today find it boring, doctrinal, and even too silly. Still, every year, millions across China tune in to the CCTV New Year’s Gala and laugh at the Xiangsheng that has become one of China’s favorite pastimes.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.