There’s no better place to be young than in Shanghai. This incredibly dynamic city is a great place to start your career and save money for the future, all while having the time of your life. Of course, some places in the city are better than others. Whether you’re looking for something convenient, cheap, or both, here are Shanghai’s best neighborhoods for millennials and young professionals.
Xuhui covers most of the Former French Concession area that is popular with expats, young people, and artsy types. A lot of the old lanehouse architecture has been preserved and converted into trendy lofts and studio apartments. The streets are narrower than in other areas, making them conducive to long walks and bike rides. In fact, living in Xuhui means you can walk almost everywhere you need to go as many of the city’s best bars, restaurants, and shops are all here. Two of the prime real estate areas in Xuhui are located around the Changshu Lu and South Shaanxi metro stops.
Xuhui, Shanghai, China
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
West Nanjing also caters to expats with its wide array of western restaurants, but some of the quieter streets in this neighborhood have some great cheap local food options as well. You will find Shanghai’s first New York style pizza place, Joe’s Pizza, and trendy bar area Taikang Lu. The West Nanjing metro stop is on lines 2, 12, and 13, making this neighborhood a central location for almost any commuter. If you work east of the river (in Pudong), for instance, you can easily live at West Nanjing and take the 2 just a few stops.
Jing’an is the heart of the city, both geographically and socially. In fact, many of Shanghai’s young professionals work in Jing’an office buildings by day and party in Jing’an bars by night. There are still some apartments in this area that won’t break the bank. Check out the Yuyuan Lu/Jiangsu Lu area to find the best modestly priced highrise apartments.
Jing’an, Shanghai, China
People’s Square is more than just a tourist trap. Between the massage parlors and camera toting travelers, you’ll find cheap housing and delicious local eats. This neighborhood caters especially to students and interns. Here, you’ll often find cosmopolitan 5-8 person apartments where you can meet roommates from all over the world. The vibe here is energetic, with residents often taking a short walk east to the Bund for clubbing.
Suzhou Creek is a little off the beaten track which means that its wonders have yet to be exploited. This artsy neighborhood is home to many a private gallery as well as Instagrammable art street Moganshan Lu. Waterfront property typically means a high price tag, but not in Suzhou Creek. Here you’ll find spacious apartments with million dollar views of the Lujiazui skyline, all for cheaper than you ever thought possible.
Wusong River, China
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.