Macau’s $250 million The House of Dancing Water is the world’s largest water-based production. Here’s a look behind the scenes at what it takes to bring this remarkable show to life.
Macau is home to a few world record breaking achievements. Firstly, its casino industry is the largest in the world, it’s also home to the Guinness World Records’ highest commercial bungy jump and, perhaps the most spectacular of them all, The House of Dancing Water – the world’s largest water show – a dazzling production that is nothing short of magical.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Produced by legendary Las Vegas show-maker Franco Dragone (he directed Cirque du Soleil’s most prestigious shows in the 1990s), it combines water stunts, acrobatics, aerial arts and theatre.
The show opened at Macau’s City of Dreams resort in 2011. It’s housed in a custom made theatre that took five years to build at a staggering cost of $250 million.
The cast and crew will celebrate the show’s seventh anniversary this September. In numbers, this means they’ve performed more than 2,500 shows to over four million spectators from around the world.
The House of Dancing Water is a classic good-defeats-evil love story of a princess and a handsome stranger who, along with the help of friends and the power of the water, rescue the princess from captivity and an evil queen.
Water is undoubtedly the star of the show. The performance pool is capable of holding up to 3.7 million gallons – the equivalent of more than five Olympic-sized swimming pools. Remarkably, with the help of 11 hydraulic 10-tonne lifts, the stage can convert from an aquatic pool to a solid floor in less than a minute.
The special effects and water wizardry are exceptional. Not only are the show’s many stunts mind-blowing to watch, but so too is the technical magic – at several points in the 85 minute spectacle, you wonder just how they pull it off.
A cast of 90 international performance artists, many of which are professional high divers and gymnasts, bring the show to life on stage. However, equally worthy of credit are the show’s behind-the-scenes staff who, at a total of 160 production crew, is almost double the number of performers.
Among the production crew, the 30 professional divers in the pool, which the audience never get to see, have one of the most important roles. As PADI-certified dive masters, it’s their job to help orientate the performers and hand them underwater respirators. They wear full face masks that allow them to speak to the artists underwater.
One of the show’s standout highlights is the “dancing water” scene when water blasts out of the ground in time to the music. This is accomplished with 258 embedded water jets which are illuminated with LED lights.
The theatre is a 15-level space, the 10 floors above the stage are for lighting, rigging and a high-tech control room. The five floors below it house hydraulic pumps, stage lifts, special effects and a massive water filtration system and holding tank.
Integral to the show’s magic are its 11 automated stage lifts which can hold 26 tonnes – they’re the biggest in the world. They fit neatly together and can be raised a metre above the stage or dropped seven metres below it, creating a pool deep enough for a diver to leap from a 24 metre (74.7 ft) high platform.
Backstage, the magic continues. It’s here where some 400 costumes are stored. The special costumes designed for the show are made of neoprene, a material chosen to withstand the effect of water. Over 15,000 individual pieces of Swarovski crystal make up the diamond-like buttons and pearls on the performers’ costumes.
One of the show’s most impressive “wow” moments is towards the end. A spectacular high dive is performed from a height of 24.5 metres (80 ft) leaving the audience in awe.
Far from a washout, this one-of-a-kind water spectacle looks set to continue making a big splash for many more years to come.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.