The annual Macau International Fireworks Display Contest is, today, one of the most acclaimed and popular fireworks competitions in the world. However, little has been written about Macau’s ties with the fireworks industry, yet it forms an important and impressive part of its history, given that, for a large part of the 20th century, Macau used to be the world’s largest exporter of firecrackers.
Today, Macau is known for its giant gambling industry that regularly generates six times as much in annual revenue than its closest rival, Las Vegas. But before Macau’s casino boom started in the 1970s, the backbone industry of the ’50s and ’60s in Macau was the labour-intensive firecracker-making trade.
To better understand the scale of the firecracker industry in Macau during its prime, the biggest of six firecracker manufacturers in the Taipa area of Macau was called Kwong Hing Tai. At its peak, the factory employed more than one-third of the total population and produced a staggering three million firecrackers a day.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The history of China and fireworks is believed to date back some 2,000 years. In fact, it was in China that fireworks are said to have originated. Legend goes that fireworks were invented by accident by a Chinese cook who happened to mix charcoal, sulphur and saltpeter (all commonly found in the kitchen in those days). The mixture burned and when compressed in an enclosure (a bamboo tube), the mixture exploded.
But for Macau, the firecracker industry didn’t really rise to prominence until the 19th century. Initially, businessmen used Macau as a port for firecracker exports and had trading agents in the city before they later began to build firecracker plants there.
At its height, Macau boasted seven firecracker factories, and they became the top source of local employment. Meagre wages from making firecrackers fed mouths and offered hope to the destitute, some of whom had just escaped from the brutal uncertainty of a newly installed Communist regime in the mainland. However, Macau’s firecracker industry boomed, and miniature explosives – known as “Fabreco en Macao” – soon became the must-have ingredients for all Chinese festivals the world over.
Making firecrackers in Macau began to take a backseat in the late ’70s. Wage earners left in droves to seek better paid jobs and a safer working environment in the textile and toy-making industries. Mainland China, too, was emerging as the new firecracker powerhouse.
Today, little of Macau’s firecracker heritage is preserved. However, in the area of Taipa Village, the Iec Long Firecracker Factory still stands. This factory operated from 1926 until its closure in 1984, and is the best preserved industrial heritage site in Macau.
Similarly, The Macau Museum offers an exhibit showcasing the tools of the firecracker trade and offers visitors a glimpse of the environment where they were made. The exhibits also includes some of the many colourful firecracker packaging covers produced in Macau.
In a bid to strengthen Macau’s position as a travel destination, in the late ’80s the Macau tourism board turned to its firecracker history as inspiration to launch its annual Macau International Firework Display Contest.
Now, almost 30 years later, the showcase offers a visual feast of ten programmes over the space of five days and is universally acclaimed as one of the world’s best fireworks competitions.
Over the years, more than 100 professional international display teams have taken part in this amazing competition. Each year, in the months of September and October, both visitors and locals flock to the waterfront next to the Macau Tower to see Macau’s skyline light up with bursts of vibrant colour. It’s an event not to be missed, one that is not only a popular annual event, but a fitting tribute to one of Macau’s most successful traditional industries.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.