From business to food culture, the environment to history, there’s a China-centric podcast for you. With expertise and wit, these seven podcasts tell you everything you’ve ever wanted to know about the world’s ever-rising superpower, but have been too afraid to ask.
The History of China
A history that spans 5000 years is intimidating to get through. Where do you start? Luckily, the History of China podcast answers that question for you by breaking the history up into bite-sized pieces, delivering semi-weekly audio clips covering everything from battles to emperors and everything in between. This podcast is soothing to listen to, always does its research and delves deeper into each topic than a college-level class would.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
McKinsey on China
Run by China-based employees of prominent consulting firm McKinsey & Company, this podcast delivers incredibly useful lessons on business and economic trends affecting China. Topics covered in the past have ranged from electric vehicles to China’s unique e-commerce market. This is requisite listening for anyone who plans to do business in the greater China area.
The China in Africa Podcast
In this podcast, two journalists and Sinophiles discuss the ever-changing relationship between China and Africa. Though China is the second largest creator of jobs in Africa, shockingly few people know of the two regions’ codependency. However, China’s involvement in Africa will continue to shape global politics for years to come. With the China in Africa Podcast, you can now be on the forefront of such knowledge.
Do you know what’s happening in China this week? With Yellow Star, you will. Every episode, the host reads five pieces of China news then dissects each through a western lens for a US and European audience. Though less than a year old, this podcast has quickly found its footing and gained a dedicated following drawn to the digestible breakdown of information the podcast provides.
You surely know that China is one of the world’s largest producers of air and water pollution, but did you know that it’s also recently vowed to expand its electric vehicle production to seven million cars by 2025? Or that, in a move that’s wildly altering global perception, it plans to replace the US as the driving force against climate change? In this bi-weekly podcast from the Beijing Energy Network, get educated about such matters and learn how entrepreneurs and experts are working to improve China’s environment.
The environment, business, Africa policy, history: these are all heavy topics. For those looking for a lighter podcast that doesn’t expend so much brain power, China Jedi is perfect for you. A witty, breezy podcast, China Jedi talks candidly about expat life in China, providing comical insight into what foreigners think of living in the Middle Kingdom.
Bottled in China
In China’s big cities, namely Shanghai and Beijing, you can’t go one week without hearing news of the latest and hottest restaurants and bars. And now, you don’t have to live in those cities to get that news too. Every few weeks, Bottled in China brings you interviews with the biggest food and beverage personalities in China, talking food and booze with the most important innovators you’ve never heard of.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.