In the Name of People
Chinese name: 【人民的名义】
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Genre: Political drama
Starring: Lu Yi, Xu Yajun, Zhang Fengyi
Named by many as China’s answer to House of Cards, In the Name of People is a modern-day political drama that follows the anti-corruption efforts of fictional prosecutor Hou Liangping. In many ways, Hou’s campaign mirrors current Chinese president Xi Jinping’s own anti-graft pursuits. The show is funded in part by government money, and while it has been met with rave reviews by its target audience, Western viewers have criticized the pro-authoritarian themes. Still, In the Name of People has taken China by storm, engaging audiences with politics like never before.
Chinese name: 【三生三世十里挑花】
Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Romance
Starring: Yang Mi, Mark Chao
Although the series only began broadcasting at the beginning of 2017, it has already risen up the ranks to become the number one rated television drama on both search engine Baidu and Chinese Twitter equivalent Weibo’s ‘most popular’ lists. Based on the romantic fantasy novel of the same name by Tang Qi, the story follows the cross-century love story of goddess Bai Qian and mortal Ye Hua. The story involves deception, heartbreak, war, rebirth, memory-wiping, and the universal theme of souls drawn to each other for eternity.
White Deer Plain
Chinese name: 【白鹿原】
Genre: Period drama
Starring: Zhang Jiayi, He Bing, Qin Hailu, Liu Peiqi, Li Hongtao
While most Chinese period dramas focus on the glamour of imperial times, White Deer Plain follows the gritty lives of several generations of people living on the North China Plain in Shaanxi province during the early 20th century. The show, which was adapted from the acclaimed 1993 novel of the same name, reportedly took 17 years to produce and a budget of RMB230 million. Through the tumult of the brief Republican era, the Japanese invasion, and the early days of Communist rule, the story stays true to the hardships of the times, delivering to audiences a heavy masterpiece that few can look away from.
Rush to the Dead Summer
Chinese name: 【夏至未至】
Genre: Drama, Romance, Coming of age
Starring: Chen Xuedong, Zheng Shuang, Bai Jinting
By its release in June 2017, Rush to the Dead Summer had already garnered quite a fan base in anticipation of its premiere, with young people across China excited for a series with an original soundtrack. Based on Guo Jingming’s novel of the same name, Rush to the Dead Summer spans 10 years in the life of a group of friends, from high school to entering society. In high school, Li Xia, Fu Xiaosi, and Lu Zhang were inseparable, but real life proves hard on their friendship as the trio face abandonment, betrayal, and loss. As they grow up and grow apart, the friends question what even brought them together in the first place and the warmth of their young summers starts to fade away.
Fighter of the Destiny
Chinese name: 【择天记】
Genre: Period drama, Fantasy, Martial arts
Starring: Lu Han, Guli Nazha, Janice Wu, Joseph Zeng
Based on the novel of the same name by Mao Ni and starring former K-Pop pretty boy Lu Han, Fighter of the Destiny has all the makings of an instant Chinese classic: time travel, Taoist destiny, mysticism, a hero’s journey, and romance. The story follows the time traveling quest of an orphan with a royal bloodline, Chen Changsheng, as he leaves his master in search of a cure for his terminal illness. Along the way, he meets Xu Yourong, and the two fall in love and conquer trials and tribulations together.
The Advisors Alliance
Genre: Period political drama
Starring: Wu Xiubo
This historical drama centers on the political rise of Three Kingdoms-era government and military official Sima Yi. The series is split into two parts, with the first part having aired on Zhejiang TV over summer 2017. The second part, which focuses on Sima’s military conquests, will premiere on Chinese streaming site Youku on December 8, 2017. The chaotic and intriguing Three Kingdoms period has long provided fodder for historically-inclined writers, and there is no doubt that The Advisors Alliance will soon join the canon of great Three Kingdoms adaptations.
Chinese name: 【楚乔传】
Genre: Period drama
Starring: Zhao Liying, Lin Gengxin, Shawn Dou, Li Qin
Currently the most-watched Chinese drama of all time, Princess Agents follows the dramatic life of slave girl Chu Qiao during the Northern Wei dynasty. The story begins with Chu being chased in the woods by rich lords, who are using her as human prey for sport. She is saved by a prince, Yan Xun, who introduces her to his aristocratic world. As Chu’s connection with Yan deepens, Chu begins to realize that her new life is even crueler than the one she was saved from.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.