Tianjin, like many metropolises throughout China, is a wonderland of modern skyscrapers and has put many counterpart cities around the world to shame. Some of the most futuristic structures and novel towers in China are here in Tianjin, and these are in addition to the impressive historic buildings that are relics of Tianjin’s colonial past. Here are the most astonishing buildings and skyscrapers in Tianjin.
The Tianjin Library
This quiet, airy campus is ideal for those wanting to explore an architectural wonder from the 1980s and then sit down and read in peace. It’s vastly open, spacious, and with no shortage of bookshelves to peruse. However, be advised that the selection of books published in foreign languages (not Chinese) is still rather limited.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
No.15 Fukang Road, Nankai District, Tianjin, China, +86 22 2362 0082
The Ritz-Carlton of Tianjin is self-described as “opulent” hotel with an unmistakable retro vibe. Befitting for Tianjin, as a city with tremendous influence from the old world of Europe, Ritz-Carlton is about as luxurious as it gets, with a private park in its courtyard.
St. Regis Hotel
One of the most exquisite buildings in northern China, the St. Regis Hotel in Tianjin is a modern architectural marvel to behold. The hotel sits right along the shore of the Haihe River and is among Tianjin’s most beautifully luminous sites at night in the entire city.
The world’s six tallest skyscraper is right in the heart of Tianjin. Goldin Finance 117 is nearly 2,000 feet tall and has taken a decade to complete. You may recognize Goldin from viral media last year, when a daredevil couple climbed to the top without a safety harness.
Minyuan Stadium in the Five Great Avenues
After being closed down, renovated, and reopened to the public. Minyuan Stadium is a staple in the historic Five Great Avenues. This stadium first opened in 1926 and was used to host soccer games, but is now a cultural and leisure recreation “showroom” of Tianjin.
The Holiday Inn franchise reinvented itself in China as a premier brand in accommodations. With three different Holiday Inns to choose from in Tianjin, the Binhai location is by far the most intricate designed, sporting a contemporary triangular facade.
Another luxury hotel that is situated along the Haihe River is the Shangri-La. Though the exterior of the building itself may bot be as dazzling in comparison to some of its contemporaries, the Shangri-La of Tianjin has an interior that will make you wonder in awe.
The lights from these mesmerizing buildings glimmer off the Haihe River at night. Haihe Cultural Square is an iconic historical section of vintage buildings that is in the heart of Tianjin. Alongside the “mother river,” it is inspired by European and early American architecture.
Also known as Ji Tower and Tianjin Tower, a megacity in China would not be complete without a signifying skyscraper of finance. Tianjin’s World Financial Center has 75 floors and is right on the edge of Haihe River. Dine in the tower’s Sky Restaurant up on the 72nd floor.
At 1,362 feet tall and built in 1991, the Tianjin Tower is still among the world’s tallest structures. Today it serves as an observatory with a rotational restaurant. Interestingly enough, this gargantuan tower is the 8th tallest tower in the world and is centered in the middle of a lake.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.