China might not spring to mind when it comes to coffee culture, but with more and more cafés popping up right across Beijing, there are now tons of places for a good cup of joe. From hipster hutong hideaways to mall pit stops, you’ll always find somewhere to get your caffeine fix.
Bracket Coffee is one of the newer additions to the Beijing café scene, but it’s rapidly climbing the ranks of the city’s go-to coffee spots. Unlike most other cafés that lean toward the mom-and-pop-shop style, Bracket Coffee is chic, shiny and big, with a rooftop patio that’s perfect for warmer months. The coffee itself is impressive, with a menu that boasts speciality beans from all around the world, from Ethiopia and Papua New Guinea to Guatemala and Brazil. Make sure you fuel up while you’re exploring Chaoyang.
Barista Coffee Roasters was one of the first new-wave cafés on the coffee scene in Beijing. Despite its unassuming hutong location, this stylish café in Wudaoying Hutong whips up some of the best brews in town with its in-house roasted beans. It doesn’t offer any fancy coffee concoctions, but it is known for its unique Soda Iced Americano, which has become a summer essential for Beijingers.
With its cool minimalist vibe, cosy atmosphere and strong menu, Coffee Tags is a favourite among locals who wish to expand their java repertoire. It has beans from all around the world, ranging in strength and complexity, as well as your regular brews like americanos, espressos and lattes. Note that they only have a few tables inside, so this might not be a great place for digital nomads looking to camp out for a couple of hours.
Voyage Coffee is a perfect place to rest when gallery-hopping while in the 798 Art District. With classical music humming in the background, beautiful art on the walls and a courtyard perfect for al fresco dining, it’s an ideal atmosphere for relaxing. It might have a small coffee menu, but it’s a solid one with a good assortment of seasonal brews and espressos.
This long-time favourite is well known among Beijingers. It’s an excellent place to study or spend a leisurely afternoon out on its courtyard or second-storey terrace. It might only offer the classics (espressos, cappuccinos, flat whites etc) but they do so with style and consistent quality. The killer coffee and bites paired with its gorgeous outdoor and indoor spaces is why Café Zarah is a Beijing institution.
Yes, Baker and Spice is a chain. And yes, it has great coffee. This Shanghai-grown bakery chain has won the hearts of Beijingers far and wide with consistently good coffee, plus bread and pastries worth breaking your diet for. And with a solid range of handpicked wines and flavourful dishes, it’s also a popular lunch and dinner spot for casual diners. Filled with the aroma of brewed coffee and freshly baked bread, plus its strong Wi-Fi connection, this café is an excellent place to unwind with a cup of joe and a snack any time of day.
This article is an updated version of a story created by Anastasiia Ilina.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.