Opened to the public in 2016, Shanghai Tower is one of the world’s most impressive architectural marvels. Rising above the city’s financial district, it represents a green future for China. A tower so tall you can only see the top on a clear day, the Shanghai Tower is known for its height, but that is only the beginning of the story.
It is the second tallest building in the world
While Dubai’s Burj Khalifa holds the world record for tallest building, Shanghai Tower is actually the tallest by height to usable floor. The top floor of the Burj is at 584.5 meters (1917.7 feet), and the top floor of the Shanghai Tower squeaks past it, coming in at 587.4 meters (1927.2).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It has the world’s highest observation deck.
Skyscraper fans and those who want an unbeatable view can’t do much better than the observation deck of the Shanghai Tower, located on the 121st floor. At 561.3 meters (1841.5 feet), the deck is the highest in the world, offering viewers a godlike perspective of Lujiazui and the Huangpu River.
Its elevators are the fastest in the world
If you’re worried about a long trip to the top, fret no more. Designed by Mitsubishi, the elevators in Shanghai Tower are the fastest in the world, traveling at speeds of 74 km/h (45.9 mph). That’s faster than the speed limit of most in town roads!
It is state owned
The tower is owned by Yeti Construction and Development, a coalition of state owned development companies like Shanghai Lujiazui Finance & Trade Zone Development Co. and Shanghai Construction Group. Funding for construction came in part from Shanghai’s municipal government, with the total cost coming in at RMB16.5 billion ($2.4 billion).
It has nine zones
The tower is formed from the stacking of nine cylindrical buildings. Each of these nine zones contains a separate atrium, featuring gardens, cafes, and retail space. From the outside, the nine zones are impossible to see, as the entire structure is encased in a transparent glass facade.
The Shanghai Tower is an encouraging symbol of China’s new commitment to environmental friendliness. It incorporates several green architectural elements and was praised by its design firm as “the greenest super high-rise building on earth.” For example, the 120° twist is intended to reduce wind loads on the building by 24%, allowing the construction team to use 25% less structural steel than a non green design of an equal height.
The architectural firm behind its design is American, but its chief architect is Chinese
Shanghai Tower was designed by American architectural firm Gensler, whose other notable projects include JFK International Airport and the Houston Ballet Centre for Dance. However, the design team was led by Jun Xia, who was born and raised in Shanghai and received his architectural training from Tongji University, located in, you guessed it, Shanghai.
It has two “sister towers.”
The tower is totally unique in its design, but city plans from 1993 reveal that it was intended as one of three super tall towers all located in the Lujiazui financial district on the east bank of the Huangpu River. The other two were completed before Shanghai Tower, Jin Mao Tower which opened in 1999, and the Shanghai World Financial Center, which opened in 2008.
It can accommodate 16,000 people at a time.
At any given time, the Shanghai Tower can comfortably accommodate 16,000 people, meaning that the entire population of South Pacific island Tuvalu could visit it at the same time (with room to spare).
Located between the 84th and 110th floors of the Shanghai Tower is J-Hotel, run by Chinese brand Jin Jiang International Hotels. At the time of its completion, it represents the highest hotel in the world, beating out the Hong Kong Ritz Carlton and the Park Hyatt Shanghai (located in sister tower Shanghai World Financial Center).
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.