Travellers seeking an authentic experience don’t have to look far in Cambodia — there are a string of eco-tourism projects, tours and sites dotted throughout the country.
As more remote areas of Cambodia become accessible and infrastructure improves, accessing the country’s bounty of off-the-beaten-track destinations is becoming much easier. This has resulted in a swathe of eco-tourism sites and local experiences being developed. Here are a few to whet your appetite.
Visit Banteay Srei
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Visit Banteay Srei project launched in 2016 with a network of villagers opening up their doors to guests in the form of homestays; businesses are also welcoming tourists wanting to get a glimpse of work life in this rural district which sits outside of Siem Reap. The website details homestays, activities and itineraries that take in nature, food, culture, lifestyle and handicrafts. The main star of the show is Banteay Srei Temple, coined the Jewel of Angkor for its intricate carvings. The beauty of this temple is that, unlike Angkor Wat, it is not over-run with tourists, making meandering round the ancient site much more pleasurable.
Elephant Valley Project
The northeastern province of Mondulkiri is packed full of jungle, rolling hills, bunong hilltribes and plenty of elephants. Elephant Valley Project offers visitors the chance to get up close and personal to the magnificent mammals, while learning more about the negative effects of elephant tourism, which is prevalent throughout Southeast Asia. The sanctuary offers a permanent or temporary respite for over-worked and neglected elephants, who can kick back, relax and enjoy life in their natural habitat, As such, don’t expect any elephant rides — this is an activity the project strongly advocates against. Instead, visitors can spend the day watching the beasts wallowing in mud, washing themselves in the river and stomping through the jungle, tearing saplings out with their trunks.
Cambodia Rural Discovery Tours
Kratie is a province that is all too often missed, but for those wanting to see a slice of real Cambodia, then this is the destination for you. Cambodia Rural Discovery Tours (CRDT) have recruited and trained locals, who come equipped with on-the-ground knowledge of the area, to carry out a series of tours across Kratie. Trips include a variety of homestays in local villages, cycling through the countryside, visits to see endangered Irrawaddy dolphins swimming in the Mekong, boat trips and an introduction to Cantor’s giant softshell turtles and a conservation project to boost their dwindling population. CRDT has also opened Le Tonlé Training Restaurant & Guesthouse, which also doubles up as a hospitality training school to provide locals with skills for a sustainable income.
As Southeast Asia’s largest remaining rainforest, the Cardamom Mountains are full of rare and exotic flora and fauna. This remote area is full of dense forest, grasslands and mountains that stretch to the horizon and take in waterfalls, villages and exotic wildlife. The last decade has seen the Cardamoms open up, and, while much of it remains off limits, an increasing number of homestays and tours into the heart of the jungle have launched. Wildlife Alliance was the first to start operating, working with villagers in Chi Phat community to open a range of authentic homestays and a way to discover the real Cambodia. Former poachers have been trained as guides to take guests through the jungle on hikes or bike rides as well as a range of other activities.
Sam Veasna Center
This project’s main mission is to protect and conserve the country’s population of rare and dwindling birdlife. Since 2006, the Siem Reap-based organisation has been leading half- to 21-day custom birding and wildlife tours, led by local experts and specialist guides, to some of Cambodia’s most important and protected areas. Destinations include the Tonle Sap floodplain, the eastern plains and southern Cambodia. Birds commonly spotted include the giant Ibis, white-shouldered Ibis, Bengal Florican, Greater Adjutant, Milky Stork and Sarus Cranes. The wildlife tours take in a range of species, including yellow-cheeked crested gibbon, black-shanked douc langur, plus Asian elephants and bears.
Comprised of nine rural villages with more than 760 families, Chambok community offers the chance for visitors to experience authentic village life while exploring its natural surroundings. Located on the fringe of Kirirom National Park in southwest Cambodia, about two hours from Phnom Penh, the area is home to lush waterfalls, thick forest and paddies. Launched in 2002 to provide locals with a sustainable form of income, guests can take treks into the forest, swim at the 12-meter (40-foot) waterfall, go on bike rides and learn how to make traditional crafts. The female-run restaurant serves locally sourced food. Two- and three-day treks can also be arranged with local guides.
Nestled completely off-the-beaten-track in Preah Vihear province, Betreed Adventure is the perfect trip for nature-lovers and thrill-seekers. Its main aim is to protect 6,400 hectares of savannah land that is home to various endangered and threatened species, including banteng (wild cow), pileated gibbons, silver langurs, barking deer, sambar deer and many birds. Visitors can also explore cave temples that date back to Angkorian times, quarries where the stones to build the country’s glorious temples were carved from, a 300-metre (984-foot) zipline and more.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.