The laid-back riverside town of Kampot boasts heaps of charm, an abundance of Insta-worthy landscapes, sprawling countryside and the world’s best pepper. While time seems to slow in the southern town, there is still plenty to pack into 48 hours. Here’s what we recommend.
Day 1: Morning
Set your watch to Kampot time with a lazy breakfast at Espresso, which perfectly captures the town’s under-stated hip essence. The quirky café comes with heaps of heart – and the best coffee around, roasted daily in-house. Aussie-style breakfasts are served, with food running throughout the day until 5pm.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Day 1: Mid-morning to late-afternoon
The preferred way to explore Bokor Mountain is by motorbike, with many rental stores hiring them out for the day. The other option is by private vehicle, with your guesthouse or one of the many travel shops in town able to organise a taxi, as no tuk tuks are allowed entry to the national park. Sitting about 40 kilometres away from the town, the smooth road that winds up the mountain takes in waterfalls, Buddhist monuments, crumbling churches, a giant casino and, at its peak, the derelict shell of Bokor Hill Station. Once a retreat for the country’s elite and serving as a resort for the colonial French during the early 20th-century, the eerie remnants can be explored.
Day 1: Evening
Take a short stroll at dusk along the promenade that flanks Kampot River. Stop for sundowners at Rikitikitavi, boasting views of the water with Bokor as the backdrop. The food here is excellent, so stay for dinner before heading to Karma Traders’ rooftop bar, which frequently has live music. Mad Monkey Hostels Kampot is another popular spot and often hosts events. If you have the energy to head a bit further out of town, then Naga House on the river attracts a hearty crowd at weekends, with DJs and live music.
Day 2: Morning
Start the day with breakfast at Elle’s Café Kampot, a chilled diner that serves great food. Next, head into the countryside to find out more about Cambodia’s most famous ingredient: Kampot Pepper. Used by top chefs in kitchens across the globe, the sharp pepper comes in four forms – black, green, red and white – and adds a real kick to dishes. There are a range of farms offering half-day visits to see the pepper process first hand. Sothy’s Pepper Farm, La Plantation and Starling Farm are good options.
Day 2: Afternoon
Take a tuk tuk about 15 minutes out of town and along the Kampot River to GreenHouse. Kick back, relax and refuel with lunch. Spend time soaking up some rays on the deck that juts into the water; dive straight in or hang out on one of the giant inflatable rings. Kayaks and paddleboards are also available for hire, or you can spend the afternoon exploring the river and surrounding tributaries on a three-hour boat tour with Bjorn.
Day 2: Evening
Kick off the evening with a relaxing foot massage at Banteay Srey Women’s Spa, which provides underprivileged women with training and employment. Men aren’t allowed here, but they can head to Jolie Jolie Beauty Salon.
If you want to appease the appetite by tucking into the best ribs in town – or even the country – book a table in advance, because the Rusty Keyhole usually sells out by about 8pm. Round off the evening with a drink at Le Comptoir de Kampot, situated among the town’s smattering of colonial buildings.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.