Music runs through the veins of Cambodia, with karaoke joints found on seemingly every corner, songs ringing heavy in the air and music blasting out of speakers across the country. With love songs the favoured genre, there’s no escaping the sound of Cambodian music, whether it be on a bus, walking down the street or eating lunch. We look at eight of the most well-loved popstars.
Having launched his career in 1998 at the age of 17, Nop Bayyareth is one of the country’s most famous popstars. He has released a string of albums, making his debut in 2001 with Prouy Nek Mjas Sne. He has also made a series of TV appearances, featuring as a judge on the first and second season of The Voice Cambodia in 2014 and 2016, as well as a judge on the first season of Cambodian’s Idol in 2015.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Pich Sophea, commonly known as SP, rose to fame in 2004 with her debut single, ‘Better Day’, featuring DJ-Sdey. To date, she has released seven albums, with her latest, Queen, released in 2016. She starred alongside Nop as a coach in seasons one and two of The Voice Cambodia.
Kum Bunnadeth started working for EV Production in 1988 as a seven-year-old singer. He went on to release a series of albums, meeting his wife and fellow popstar Yuk Thit Ratha at the recording studios at a young age. They wed in May 2006. In 2007, he released duet, ‘My O My’, with popular Khmer singer Yorth That Rotha, which shot to fame.
Preap Sovath launched his singing career in 1996 at the age of 31. He quickly rose to become one of the country’s most popular singers. He has also starred in a clutch of local films, including Have You Ever Loved Me in 2013. Preap was also a judge in Cambodian’s Got Talent seasons 1 and 2 in 2014 and 2017, Cambodian Idol 1 & 2 and The Voice Kids Cambodia season one, this year.
Chhet Sovanpanha’s love of singing started at a young age, with her perofrming in a string of shows for children. This national treasure has released a series of chart-topping hits, with her debut single ‘Mouse Loves Rise’ shooting to the top spot. She has also toured Malaysia, Australia, France and Switzerland.
Singer-songwriter Suon Socheata, known commonly as Nikki Nikki, has scored a series of hits, starting with ‘Home for Dinner’ in 2014. Her modern style combined with her soulful lyrics and sounds made her an instant hit with the masses. In February, she took to the stage with UK singer Joss Stone at the second ChubMet Music and Arts Festival in Siem Reap.
American-Cambodian Laura Mam found fame on YouTube after posting a series of love songs, sparked by a break-up in 2008. After graduating from college in the US, she headed to Cambodia where her catchy sounds made her an instant hit with the country’s youth. The singing sensation has also gone on to set up her own record label to spawn a new generation of young, original singers.
Having released their debut album 2×4 earlier this year, these four musicians are introducing new sounds to the country, creating original music that explores a range of subjects. Each song’s lyrics tell a special tale from the members’ lives that they hope their audience can relate to.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.