Hitting the beach in Sihanoukville? You’ll probably want to stay near Otres Beach (that’s what we’d do). Properties here range from basic backpacker to relatively blingy, and they’re bookable with Culture Trip.
Just say the words “Southeast Asia”, and you’ve probably already conjured up a mental picture of Otres Beach (or rather beaches). Otres 1, and its even more stunning sister Otres 2, are two strips of white sand edged with turquoise waters and surrounded by palms. There are also a few shops selling beers, barbecued seafood and everything else you need to have a good time. These beaches are the best in Sihanoukville right now, since the others (Serendipity, Independence and Ochheuteal) have taken a few slightly wrong turns on the road towards overdevelopment.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Designed by Spanish architect Philippe Favre, this hotel has a bauhaus feel to it: squint, and you could be in Tel Aviv or Miami. The mid-century-inspired interiors also help to convey an overall sense of style that elevates this choice above other local hostels and bungalows. The breakfast is generous, almost all rooms have a balcony, terrace or patio, and the lush gardens, large pool and direct access onto Otres 2 are big plus points, too.
This place feels like the Sihanoukville of old, before big investment and big hotels came calling. Your bungalow comes with a thatched roof, palm-fringed gardens and a hammock for swinging the day away. The European menu at the restaurant recalls Cambodia’s French heritage, with choices like steak frites and plenty of yummy things piled on baguettes or crepes. There’s wifi and air conditioning in some rooms, although these are paid-for add-ons (as is often the case in this area).
Located on the Ochheuteal side of Otres, and giving you two beaches for the price of one, this resort has a friendly set-up amid well-kept gardens. Its 22 sturdy air-conditioned bungalows, featuring clean and comfortable rooms, encircle a sparkling blue pool, where guests chat over sundowner cocktails. There’s free wifi throughout and a restaurant, too, so you may not ever have to leave the complex.
Forget about slumming it. This four-star resort on Otres 2 is a cut above the competition in both style and substance. All rooms are air-conditioned and feature firm mattresses, minibars and flat-screen TVs. Some even have big bathtubs out on the balconies (don’t worry, no one can see) for an extra-sensual touch. There’s a gorgeous pool, a fully equipped gym and massages on request, plus live music, an airport shuttle and much more. Like the dishes at the in-house restaurant, DUO, the vibe at this hotel combines the best of European and Asian influences. The results are pretty tasty.
A good choice for families, this four-star choice has a kids’ pool as well as a lap pool and loungers for grown-ups. The minimalist decor, pale wood and majority-white furnishings give this resort a clean, Scandinavian-style vibe that blends with the Khmer architecture for an attractive look and feel. Facilities include a 24-hour reception, room service and wifi throughout. After a hard day of sunbathing, snorkelling or diving, you can return to the hotel’s riverside restaurant for lantern-lit evenings featuring Western or Cambodian dishes.
This decent two-star hotel comes with clean rooms and nice touches, like your own tea and coffee makers, cable TV channels and patio tables for games and sundowners. Breakfast is free, too, although the real star of this show is the location. Rooms lead out into a garden corridor leading straight down onto Otres 1 Beach, and the aqua park Splash Party is just a five-minute walk away. You’ll have to get a taxi to the dive shop, if that’s what you’re here for, but snorkelling gear can be rented on site.
If your idea of a holiday is more action than relax-ion (see what we did there), then try Sok Sabay. In addition to the small-ish pool, facilities include a games room with chess and billiards, fishing and boules on site, free use of bicycles and optional canoeing or horse riding trips. Located in the mangrove area of Otres, a two-minute walk from the village centre, the gardens are lush and the buildings are lovingly made from rattan and palm.
The quirky bungalows in this resort don’t look very Cambodian – in fact, they resemble the tiny clapperboard beach huts that you might see on the US East Coast or in Northern Europe. Inside, though, they’re well-equipped with king-size beds, high-speed wifi, rain showers and air conditioning. V is a good mid-range option, with a well-reviewed restaurant and its own minigolf course, plus a pool, spa and gym.
Ren is the final hotel on the Otres 2 strip, but it’s hardly an afterthought, as one of the best properties in the whole of Sihanoukville. Purpose-built back in 2015, it still feels fresh and exciting, with lovely rooms and a friendly vibe. The 30m (100ft) pool – which wraps around two sides of the hotel, with a shallow area for children at one end – is a well-thought-out addition, and the dining room is a romantic, palm-fringed experience right on the beach. Add an excellent buffet breakfast and a three-hour daily happy hour, and you’ll want to keep this place a secret from the rest of the strip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.