Few tourists visit Brunei Darussalam apart from a handful on a Royal Brunei stopover. But those who do enjoy the city’s grand mosques, floating village and attractive waterfront. Here are our top restaurants in Bandar Seri Begawan for local treats, Western food and the chance to taste their national dish.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Nasi Katok Mama
Nasi Katok is one of Brunei’s favourite dishes. A piece of juicy fried chicken comes with a scoop of white rice covered in a spicy, yet slightly sweet, sambal sauce. Locals will happily wait in a long line to get their meal which shows how good the food is. With 24-hour opening hours, you can eat here at any time of the day or night. Be aware that portions might not be as large as other restaurants in Bandar Seri Begawan and particularly hungry tourists might need to order two.
Restoran Semporna Enak
Located on the waterfront, this is among the best restaurants in Bandar Begawan for dining with a view. Everyone’s palates will be satisfied with their selection of Asian dishes as well as the mouth-watering buttermilk chicken. Sit outside and either grab a familiar fried rice or noodle dish or go for something more regional. We recommend the Sambal carrot cake for dessert. Head here in the early evening as the setting sun creates stunning views of Kampong Ayer.
Big Papa’s Restaurant
If you’re not sure what you want to eat, head to Big Papa’s Restaurant. The menu includes everything from fried rice and seafood to Brunei-style crepes. The lengthy opening hours make it popular with locals at all times of the day while retaining its laid-back atmosphere. Meal prices cater more towards those with a mid-range budget in Brunei.
Restaurant, Asian, Malaysian
For buffet-style dining, head to Tarindak D’Seni near the Brunei River. Diners can choose between a selection of Malay, Bruneian and Singapore dishes. Compared to other restaurants in Bandar Seri Begawan, this is more popular with tourists. Sides include lamb, mutton and Nasi Kuning (yellow rice). Ambuyat, Brunei’s national dish, is available offering the chance to taste this regional delicacy. Expect to pay between B$20 to B$30 ($13.20 to $19.90 USD) per person.
Charcoal BBQ & Grill Restaurant
Restaurant, Steakhouse, $$
Charcoal BBQ is one of the few Western-style restaurants in Bandar Seri Begawan. If you’re craving a meat feast, check out their menu of steaks and grills. You’ll find everything from succulent lamb chops and mashed potatoes to fresh prawns and calamari with Greek salad. Prices tend to be higher, but it does provide some of Brunei’s best Western food. We recommend reserving a private room for either a romantic evening or a quiet family meal.
Nurwanita Thai Restaurant
Restaurant, Thai, Asian
Craving Thai food in Brunei? Head to Nurwanita in Bandar Seri Begawan. With a variety of northern Thai cuisine and Chiang Mai favourites, it provides an excellent spot for fans of spicy food. According to the locals, this is the only restaurant in Bandar Seri Begawan with Panang Chicken Curry and their must-try mango sticky rice pudding. A filling meal with dessert and drinks for two will cost approximately $B30 ($19.90 USD).
Local Bites at Gadong Night Market
Market, Asian, Street Food
While Gadong isn’t one of the typical restaurants in Bandar Seri Begawan, it does provide local food at rock-bottom prices. The night market consists of several stalls under a tarpaulin-like canopy. Vendors cook endless types of rice, noodle and meat-based dishes. Grab a plate of Bruneian-style fried rice or something heavier such as the grilled fish or chicken. Gadong Night Market opens at 4pm daily until midnight.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.