You’ve survived the wedding, now time to book, plan and enjoy that honeymoon. Oh, wait – you’ve got no money left. That’s where we come in. With these fabulous destinations that won’t break the bank, you’ll not only be able to save a penny or two, but you’ll be able to experience a spot of dynamic culture, mouthwatering dishes and a romantic adventure.
Long has Bulgaria captured the imaginations of wanderlusters around the globe. Still shockingly overlooked, there’s so much to uncover in this gem of a country. Not the most obvious honeymoon choice, granted, but if you love cities head to the vibrant streets of Sofia; for a spot of sun, laze by the Black Sea; and if you love cheap booze head to Europe’s best value skiing slopes in Bansko and Borovets.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
For those who have visited, most say this spellbinding country is so bewitching it never leaves you. Whilst the popular destinations around the Golden Triangle continue to peak in price, there are several other places throughout the vast expanse that are still dirt cheap. Whilst everyone wants to experience the luxuries of an opulent ‘Palace on Wheels’, opt for an overnight sleeper on Indian Rail instead. ‘Why?’ you ask. Simple. You can get from Delhi to Udaipur for as little as US$20.
We all go crazy for a spot of Arabian eroticism, that’s why Morocco deserves top spot for affordable romance. Whether you love doors, buzzing markets or just a good coffee, there’s so much to explore in the likes of Fez, Marrakech and Essaouira. Get lost in mazes, wander through timeless, beautiful mosques and devour great food on the cheap.
It may be expensive to get to, but once you get there your money goes a long, long way. Instead of going on a posh safari, save oodles by self-driving through Kruger National Park – don’t worry, you’ll be completely safe. What’s even better is that both food and hotel lodge prices throughout the entire country suit all budgets. Get booking!
The Andaman Islands…
If the Maldives are out of the question, head here instead. These gorgeous little islands are looked after by neighbouring India. Found just off the Bay of Bengal, the exceptional archipelago offers gorgeous white, sandy beaches, spectacular hotels and a wealth of exceptional culture that will literally blow your newly-wedded minds.
The Adriatic coastline is tipped to be one of this year’s hottest summer destinations, particularly for loved-up folk. If Tuscany and Paris are out of the question, forget your sorrows wine touring in Istria. There’s over 100 to get piddled in, so your options really are limitless. Take a punt, we dare you.
A world of incredible sites and budget-friendly prices. Most come here to take a peek at Angkor Wat, a fortress of spectacular religious history. Entry to it doesn’t come cheap (it can cost up to a woof-worthy US$72) but once you realise that on average you are paying US$2 for a full, hearty meal and a measly US$1 for a beer, you’ll both forget about the entry fee.
Beautiful, wondrous and exceptional in every way imaginable: Thailand is an oasis of floating markets, patchwork landscapes and iconic rice paddies. The best thing about the place is that many of the resorts here are purpose-built for honeymoons, and throw in all sorts of complimentary extras for honeymooners. Best spots? Phuket, Koh Samui and Krabi. Oh, and let’s not even mention those sea view bathrooms. One word: perfection.
Honduras will make your friends die of jealousy. A popular budget choice for all sorts of travellers in South America, expect lots of cheap food, fantastic affordable hotels and some of the best (and the cheapest) diving spots on the planet. And what’s even better is that you can escape to the nearby islands of Utila and Cayos Cochinos for a quick romantic escape!
350,000 rupiah for a room! Don’t worry once you convert it, it’s only US$25. Phew. Whist the islands are filled with all sorts of millionaires, it’s also the perfect destination for budgaholics looking for a bargain. Where to go? Bali for cracking beaches and boutiques. Ubud for the best waves. Lombok for culture. And finally, volcanic adventure on Java. Take your pick, but there are 17,000 islands to choose from. No pressure.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.