While you might be intimately familiar with the beaches, waterfalls, festivals, trekking trails and historical sites of Goa, there is more. What else, you might ask? Ask any local, and he or she would tell you that Goa’s memoirs are incomplete without the mention of her precious feni. And it would be a travesty of justice to not dedicate an entire column to it because Goa is incomplete without it – like Japan without sake or Korea without makkoli. So without further ado, read on to discover more about feni, the feisty spirit that Goa has been brewing over the past 400 years and, as of today, is only produced in this coastal paradise.
Feni has become so fundamental to Goa’s culture that over the years, it went from ‘brew’ to ‘heritage brew’. From farmers of Konkan villages crushing cashew apples with their feet and distilling the feni in old-fashioned earthenware pots to elite feni festivals of today where connoisseurs huddle together to taste it in all its delightful versions and then debate about it, the ferocious spirit has come a long way.
So how did feni become so indispensable to Goa? This powerhouse brew has endeared itself to the locals with its magical medicinal qualities – it can heal a cold, act as an antiseptic, is a fantastic food preservative and makes that pork vindaloo taste so much better. What’s more is that it’s completely organic and can give you a series of happy highs without the drama of a morning hangover. Packing quite a punch with a 42% alcohol volume, even the most seasoned drinkers should exercise caution in its presence. Tell that sweet old Goan grannie you have a cold and see what is handed to you in a shot glass. Ask a seasoned cook the secret behind his fabulous prawns balchao dish, and guess what he’d tell you.
Although this dynamite is easy to come by when you are in the Konkan region, it sure is not an easy task to brew. Consumers reap the benefits of feni by the sweat of one too many brows. The cashew apples are first crushed by foot on a rock that has a natural mechanism to stream the juice out. An earthen pot collects the juice and is then placed in the ground for fermentation. The fermented liquid is then distilled in copper pots and heated; the resulting alcohol vapours are collected in a cooling capacitor. What makes the process time consuming is the fact that the distillation process is carried out three times: the first press is a mild alcohol, called urrack; cazulo, the second juice, is a little stronger than urrack; the third extract is what many people can’t seem to get enough of – the exotic feni with its heady aroma.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Feni connoisseurs usually assess the quality of it by its strong aroma. Being as versatile as it is, you can enjoy feni neat, with soda, a Coke, or simply as a cocktail. But do try it as a local would – order a plate of fried fish, sit underneath a coconut tree, nibble away and bottoms up, folks!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.