Mehdi Ben Cheikh, a veteran of the Paris street art wars, has taken his visions to Djerba, an island off the coast of Tunisia. Ben Cheikh is the founder of Galerie Itinerrance in Paris and has spent 10 years building an organization dedicated to the work of street artists.
Mehdi Ben Cheikh opened the Galerie Itinerrance of Parisian street art in 2004 after completing his studies at the Sorbonne and working for a short period as an art teacher. In 2013 Ben Cheikh was the pioneer behind the biggest collective street art exhibition in Europe, Paris Tour 13 Project. The project saw 108 street artists from around the world paint a dilapidated apartment block in Paris that was set to be demolished. In the one month it ran, Paris Tour 13 Project attracted more than 25,000 visitors. Ben Cheikh spoke about the project saying, “We’re bringing street art back to the streets, where it can be seen by everyone for free.”
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Mehdi Ben Cheikh is French-Tunisian, and after the success of the Paris Tour 13 Project, he set his sights on the island of Djerba in Tunisia. Djerba is well-known for its stunning sandy beaches. However, in September 2014 it was a hot topic of discussion for other reasons when Ben Cheikh began to turn the island into a huge open-air museum for his project, Djerbahood.
Ben Cheikh invited over 100 artists from 30 different countries to help make his ambitious project Djerbahood come to life. Cheikh and the other artists painted the walls of Er-Riadh, a village in Djerba. The island was once dubbed the ‘island of dreams,’ and it is now one of Tunisia’s most popular tourist destinations. Cheikh has been quoted talking about the project saying, “Djerba seemed the perfect place for street art and as an open-air space, the museum will not damage the island.”
Djerbahood was funded by several sponsors from France and Tunisia and had to be authorized by the Tunisian Ministry of Tourism. After arriving in Tunisia with aims to start the project, Ben Cheikh gained the mayor of Djerba’s approval for the artists to create art on public property. The organizers also collected consent from each homeowner in the village before the final go-ahead was given and the Djerbahood project began.
Some homeowners gave opinions on how they wanted the artwork to look, whilst others gave the artists free reign to paint as they wished. Ben Cheikh spoke about locals in the area saying, “At first, the locals didn’t really understand what I was trying to do, but this project isn’t about vandalism. It’s a real exhibition with a real scenography.”
There are more than 100 pieces woven into the village fabric, and they range from figures by British artist Phlegm, to powerful phrases by Peruvian Elliott Tupac. The street art isn’t contained to the village, and it stretches across the landscape. The Djerbahood project has helped the village Er-Riadh, and Tunisia as a whole, attract tourists and street art enthusiasts from all over the world. Djerbahood has proved to be an exciting venture, both for Mehdi Ben Cheikh and the Tunisian community that it has well and truly put on the map.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.