Travelling in and around The Gambia’s capital city of Banjul can be exciting and breathtaking. The city’s low lying topography and good road connectivity are some of the great features that make movement in and around the island city convenient and easy. From Gelegeles buses, mini vans, and taxis, we look at ways to help you navigate transport in Banjul.
These are mini bus-style carriers that can accommodate 20 – 28 passengers depending on the condition and size of each individual vehicle. Most of these carriers connect the city with major towns and villages in the metropolis. However, they can sometimes be overcrowded due to their low cost compared with other carriers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Local tip: Make sure you inform your driver or his apprentice where you want to get off, and knock on the window as a reminder when it’s your turn to exit. Do bear in mind that this means that you will have to know where you’re going beforehand.
Mini van taxis
Mini vans are a favourite among many commuters, but they carry fewer people compared to Gelegele. The speed and comfort makes them an ideal means of transportation for many, especially in moving in and around in the city. Most of these carriers also link the city with other major metropoles in the country.
Local tip: Always remind your driver or his apprentice regarding your final destination, and knock on the window as soon as you arrive at your exit point.
The quickest and fastest means of transportation in The Gambia are taxis. Though they can be expensive compared to other carriers, they are widely used by passengers in a hurry. Even in the most crowded traffic jam, taxi drivers will always find a way out. There are two types of taxis that operate in urban Gambia: green taxis and yellow taxis. They charge different rates for trips – yellow taxis can be used by any passenger who can afford the cost, and they can be found in and around the city and major towns. Green taxis are mostly stationed in areas with hotels, and are referred to as tourist taxis.
Local tip: Always negotiate the price before setting out on your trip, as rates differ from one driver to another depending on your destination.
Buses generally provide an effective and efficient means of public transportation system. They are cheaper in most cases and have depots all around the city of Banjul. Most buses also connect the city with major settlements in the northern regions of the country. Travelling on buses can sometimes be frustrating, especially in a traffic jam, but it is the most preferred means of transport for many when travelling out of the city. The Gambia Transport Services Company is the main stakeholder in this sector, with its fleet connecting the city with major towns across the country and beyond. Travelling on buses can be an adventure, and prices are affordable and reasonable. Similarly, private tour buses also operate in this area, providing easy access for tourists from their hotels to places of interest.
Local tip: Make sure you are aware of the relatively strict schedules the buses keep. You can ask your hotel or locals for more information about buses service in The Gambia.
The Gambia Ports Authority operates in various ports and has a ferry service. The Banjul-Barra crossing connects the City of Banjul to the North Bank region settlement of Barra. People use these ferries for sightseeing, and adventure, and they are cheap, safe and comfortable. However, travelling on ferries can sometimes be challenging, especially during bad weather or when the ferry is not in good shape. The first ferry departs Banjul for Barra as early as 6am, and the last till around 9pm. Private small pirogues and canoes also operate along the 7 km (4.35 mile) stretch, though some commuters prefer small vessels, as it is much faster. On occasion, passengers are able to spot whales which sometimes swim in the busy crossing.
Local tip: Make sure you buy your ticket before boarding a ferry or boat. Look out for the nearby ticket kiosk or ask anyone around you and they will be more than willing to assist you. Also, go along with a camera to take some amazing pictures during the crossing.
The Gambia is yet to introduce any transportation apps, though visitors in the country generally always find their trip exciting and with little stress. The Gambia Transport Service Company has recently introduced a mobile e-ticketing service, where passengers can buy their tickets in advance and get confirmation via text message with necessary information about their departure time.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.