The magnetic charm of Africa is hard to resist, and anyone who has lived here for a period of time will attest to the fact that the continent gets under your skin, touches your soul and beckons you back. Here are some of the best reasons to linger longer in Tanzania, a country that epitomises the wild beauty and charismatic allure of Africa.
The country has soul
Although Tanzania is one of the poorer countries on the African continent, you can’t help but feel the optimism and love of life that the people embrace. Bias and prejudice are hard to find, with diverse ethnic groups and religious traditions living harmoniously side by side. By and large, the local population is kind and generous in spirit with an undercurrent of respect and politeness.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Every sunset is a picture waiting to be painted
There is just no getting around the fact that Tanzania offers up spectacular sunset panoramas that are difficult to match. Whether you are gazing out over the savanna plains to the mountains beyond, or sitting on the beach with the turquoise ocean before you, dusk is a time to reflect and enjoy. Everything slows down at this time of day, as nature begins its sunset spectacular.
Tanzania has the highest mountain in Africa
While some have conquered the peaks of Kili, others have succumbed to its unforgiving terrain. Mount Kilimanjaro is one of the most most popular mountain summits in the world, testing the skills of experienced mountain climbers and rewarding the persistent with awe-inspiring views. It takes approximately six days to reach the peak, but for those who can’t manage the climb there are base hikes to enjoy too.
You can buy just about any spice on earth
Zanzibar is an island just off the mainland of Tanzania and even its name alludes to exotic sensory pleasures. It is often referred to as the Spice Island, and it was once an important trading point and stopover for sailors en route from the East to southern Africa and beyond. These early traders brought with them many spices from around the world, and today spice markets are easily found in Zanzibar, selling an aromatic array of flavours and representing culinary tastes from diverse countries.
Tanzania lays claim to the majority of the Serengeti
Touted as being the natural stage of one of the most amazing wildlife spectaculars in the world, the plains of the Serengeti are where you will find the annual wildebeest and zebra migration. The Serengeti ecosystem is a massive stretch of land that traverses northern Tanzania and extends into southwestern Kenya, and is one of the most celebrated wildlife areas on the planet. It is also Tanzania’s oldest game reserve and each year millions of wildebeest, followed by other antelope and zebra, cross the plains on their way to Kenya’s Masai Mara Game Reserve.
Serengeti National Park, Tanzania, +255 272503471
Some of the most photographed doors in Africa
The intricately and beautifully carved wooden doors of Stone Town represent the eclectic mix of Swahili, Arab and Indian traditions in Zanzibar, and are a favourite image for photographers to capture. The giant teak masterpieces all tell bygone stories of the early residents’ social status, religion and profession. Wave-like patterns allude to seaborne trade, and chains indicate the abode of a wealthy Arab slave trader, while vines are indicative of spice traders.
Marine life is spectacular
The islands in the Zanzibar archipelago are home to some of the most important marine conservation areas in Africa. Mafia Island protects coral reefs, mangrove trees, coastal forest and intertidal flat lands that harbour important and endangered species such as turtles and yellowfin tuna. The Mnanzi Bay Marine Park area is considered to have globally significant marine biodiversity, and is home to nesting grounds for green and hawksbill turtles and large populations of crab plovers.
Street food is part of daily life
Trying some traditional street food is essential to acquiring a true understanding of Tanzania, and it reflects the multidimensional ethnicity of the country. Meat kebabs fresh off hot coals, succulent and spicy seafood straight out off the ocean and locally brewed beer are some of the traditional tastes that the country is famous for.
Travelling is an experience
While crash helmets are optional, driving in Tanzania is an acquired art and can be a hairraising experience. Free roaming animals are everyday hazards, as are drivers with their own set of road rules. However, there are other options for getting around the country. The Tazara Train is one such alternative. Although not luxurious, the train trip offers quite an adventure for those wanting to experience a slice of Tanzanian life, and you can sit back in relative comfort while the train traverses the country. Local hawkers converge at the stops selling everything from bananas to SIM cards.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.