A tropical island in the warm Indian Ocean off the coast of mainland Tanzania, Zanzibar is a place full of history and multicultural heritage. It offers endless wonderful experiences for travelers, including dining out in Arabian style houses, on rooftop terraces or even on a rock in the ocean. Enjoy eating out on the Spice Island with our hand-picked guide of the ten restaurants not to miss in Zanzibar.
The Rock Zanzibar
The Rock is probably one of the most scenic restaurants in Africa. Literally located on a rock in the blue waters of the Indian Ocean, this restaurant is one of the most renowned in Zanzibar and a high-end stop for those who wish to enjoy fresh seafood recipes in exotic settings. Formerly a fishermans’ post, the restaurant has only 12 tables that are filled fast, so consider making reservations to be sure you get the best seats in the house. The menu is based on the abundant seafood available, serving delicacies such as octopus salad, seafood spaghetti, squid and queen prawns alongside vegetarian dishes and special children’s menus.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Emerson Spice Cafe
Located in a former 19th-century Swahili sultan’s palace, which is today a trendy hostel also popular with the occasional celebrity, Emerson Spice Cafe has a reputation for being one of the best restaurants in Zanzibar. Serving dinner on its rooftop Tea House is a wonderful opportunity to enjoy the warm colors of the sunset, but consider making timely reservations as this small restaurant gets booked up very fast. The menu includes lobster on green papaya salad, Tambi prawns with grilled mango or coconut chili king fish baked in banana leafs.
Emerson Spice Café, Tharia Street, Stone Town, Zanzibar, Tanzania, +255 755 046 395
This must-try restaurant is located on the rooftop of the second tallest building in Stone Town after the Sultan’s Palace, the House of Wonders. Offering unique panoramic sights to the Indian Ocean and the surrounding mosques, the House of Hurumzi has its share of mystery and legends some even relating its name to black slaves’ freedom. Restored to its past glory after decades of oblivion, Hurumzi House functions today as a small hotel, its rooftop restaurant being one of the best locations in town to enjoy the exotic and unforgettable view of Stone Town and a fresh seafood-based menu.
For those looking to mix the seafood cuisine of Zanzibar with European-style dishes while visiting this small piece of tropical paradise, Loulou is the perfect choice. This restaurant is a unique presence in this African culinary landscape. Offering a Belgian-based menu, Loulou brings to the table some of the best-known gastronomical products of this country, from classical waffles and chocolate mousse prepared with imported Belgian chocolate to Blanc Bleu Belge steaks.
Abyssinian Maritim is a traditional Ethiopian restaurant in the heart of Stone Town and the go-to place for visitors who want to discover as much as possible about the tastes of Africa. This thematic restaurant adopts the Ethiopian custom of eating with your fingers as well as the plate sharing approach, a traditional symbol of friendship and loyalty. Among its specialties, you can try the Ethiopian bread injera and Maritim’s renowned fresh-roasted coffee.
Abyssinian Maritim, Vuga Roundabout, Stone Town, Zanzibar, Tanzania, +255 772 940 556
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.