St. Lucia on the KwaZulu-Natal coast is quite likely the only place in the world where it is advisable for visitors to brush up on their hippo meet-and-greet etiquette before they arrive. As luck would have it, the rules are not very complicated. We give you the low-down on life in St. Lucia, where close-range sightings of free-roaming hippos are a distinct possibility.
Hippos rank as one of the largest animals in Africa and are not known for their sunny dispositions. As long as they are given lots of space and not roadblocked on their way to a grassy buffet, all should be fine.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
How the townies evolved
St. Lucia’s unique population of free-range hippos that wander into the village on a regular basis exist for a couple of reasons. In part, the town lies on the largest estuary system on the African continent and falls within South Africa’s first ever World Heritage Site, the iSimangaliso Wetland Park, housing the biggest population of hippos in the country. Another reason is that hippos eat up to 35 kilograms (77 pounds) of grass a day, so a lush, long overgrown suburban lawn is like a buffet table to them.
During the day, these gargantuan beasties wallow in the estuary water or take a nap under the shade of palm trees, as they are not partial to the sun and prefer to stick to their watery comfort zones. At night, however, the party gets started, as hordes of hungry hippos come out to feast under the light of the moon.
As with all creatures looking for a juicy snack, the hippos quickly learned that a forage through the streets of St. Lucia is a much easier and lucrative alternative to scouring out treats along the estuary bank—hence the term “townies” came into effect, in collective reference to the streetwise hippos.
Some hippo meet-and-greet rules
The townies are a sought-after attraction, and roadside parking in St. Lucia has, on one or two occasions, become a bit crowded due to the presence of a few unusual and extremely large visitors.
Getting snappy-happy around them, however, is not advised, so don’t attempt a selfie with a hippo. Although slightly more even-tempered on land than when in water, it is best to admire these enormous animals from a distance. Take photographs once you have firmly secured your own safety. After all, Africa is the only continent where hippos still exist, and St. Lucia is the only town in the world where you may bump into one while on an evening stroll.
Don’t ignore the sign boards
Those who make it out to this wild suburbia will also notice that the town is full of signs warning visitors not only of the presence of roaming hippos, but also crocodiles. If the sheer number of these lightning-fast and slithery reptiles in the estuary don’t make you think twice about swimming, then the sign boards should. If not, you may find a crocodile snacking on your toes, or a heated hippo ready to charge at you!
While all of this may sound wilder than some inner-city slums, it is also what makes St. Lucia so absolutely unique and special, and as long as you follow the warning signs and respect nature, then all should be well.
More about St. Lucia and iSimangaliso
Besides the jaw-dropping presence of street-crossing hippos, St. Lucia and iSimangaliso are characterized by pristine beaches, lush coastal forests, towering sand dunes, wetlands, and grassy savanna plains. Visitors are spoiled for choice when it comes to unique and endless outdoor pleasure, and popular activities center around boat safaris, land-based game drives, horse riding, quad biking, deep-sea fishing, and turtle tours.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.