Linden in Johannesburg is a quiet residential suburb that has become unexpectedly hip in recent years. These days it’s filled with pedestrian-friendly streets, bars, restaurants and coffee shops, not to mention the quaint little shops that make for some fab browsing. Here’s your ultimate guide.
Experience Linden’s best restaurants and coffee shops
Linden’s most iconic café, The Argentinean, sits prominently under a curved red sign at the corner of Seventh Street and Fourth Avenue. Known primarily for its hearty breakfasts and fresh croissants (which The Argentinean contends are the best in Jo’burg), the café is crowded with locals on weekend mornings.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Whippet, just across the street from The Argentinean, is equally popular but with a totally different atmosphere. Foodies flock to The Whippet for its creamy cappuccinos, scrumptious baked goods and stylish décor.
For a special South African experience, pay a visit to Cheese Gourmet at the corner of Seventh Street and Third Avenue. It sells a dizzying selection of cheeses, all South African made, spread along a wide counter manned by friendly cheese experts. A small café with a cheese-oriented menu adjoins the shop.
Craving coffee? Look no further than Yield Coffee on Eighth Street. Owned and run by women, Yield arguably serves the best coffee in Linden, hands down. Ophelia Café, while technically in neighbouring Emmarentia, is around the corner and also serves seriously good coffee in a beautiful setting.
Linden’s other dining options are too numerous to name, but don’t miss Pron for great Asian fare, El Jalapeño for Mexican, Buns Out for burgers, Hashi for sushi and Van Der Linde for high-end continental.
Enjoy a night out in one of the many bars
Tonic was one of the first bars in Jo’burg to capitalise on the craft-gin craze, selling dozens, if not hundreds, of mostly South African gin and tonics mixed into innovative cocktails. If you’re hungry, Tonic adjoins Tanen, a wine bar/tapas restaurant under the same ownership.
If South African craft beer is your thing, head to the Craft Beer Library in neighbouring Emmarentia. True to its name, Craft Beer Library has an encyclopaedic selection of beers and a hearty, American-style food menu.
For a serious party check out Brian Lara Rum Eatery, named for the Trinidadian cricket star and with a Caribbean drinks menu to match. The restaurant is decorated in a festive, tropical theme.
Get to know Linden as a fashion hotspot
Linden has also become something of a fashion hotspot. The Big Blue outlet shop (57 Third Avenue) is a well-kept secret, selling overflow stock from the popular South African clothing brand. Also on Third Avenue, the Linden Co-Op has a rotating selection of local designer pop-ups. Or if you prefer to design your own clothes, the venerable Arthur Bales Haberdashers on Fourth Avenue sells a huge range of fabric, yarn and sewing supplies.
Appreciate the weather with a stroll through the park
While Linden doesn’t have its own city park, it is bordered by two of the best. The Johannesburg Botanical Garden in Emmarentia is the city’s quintessential picnic spot, where you can lay down your blanket in the fragrant rose garden on a Sunday and watch the wedding parties parading past. Delta Park, in neighbouring Blairgowrie, is a massive city park where you can literally walk for hours. Delta Park is especially beautiful in March and April, when huge drifts of pink and white cosmos flowers burst into bloom.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.