Step into the kitchen and get your hands dirty with one of these popular cooking classes in Cape Town.
Cape Town has become one of the leading food cities in Africa, if not the world. Local flavours, international influence, expert chefs and idyllic locations have made it one of the best locations in which to enjoy a meal in a world-class restaurant. But if you want to figure out the magic behind some local delicacies, or simply spend an evening cooking your own meal in the company of an expert, give one of these hands-on cookery classes a go.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bombay to Cape Town offers small, personalised Indian cooking classes in owner Gautami Seksaria’s own kitchen. Unlike more commercialised cooking classes in the city, Bombay to Cape Town offers hands on lessons with small groups. The classes start in the scenic Ocean View Drive garden with a drink of rosewater, before you move indoors to cook your way through a culinary experience linked closely to Seksaria’s fascinating story. The courses last three to four hours, include wine, and can be tailored to your specific group requirements.
38J, Ocean View Drive, Green Point, Cape Town, South Africa, +27 72 633 3356
Ginger & Lime offers one of the more popular cookery courses in the Cape. Though less personable and intimate, they operate a slick kitchen with the latest equipment. They run various classes throughout the year with different expert chefs. Themes vary according to each class and the time of year, and include everything from winter comfort foods, to plant-based and low-carbohydrate meals. Guest chefs also make regular appearances to teach participants about specific cuisine, such as Cape Malay, Italian and Japanese.
2b Ave Disandt, Fresnaye, Cape Town, South Africa, +27 83 251 6282
The Little Pink Chef is another Cape Town cooking school that varies its courses, cuisines and styles. Chef Maryke Josling runs the courses from her cooking studio in Cape Town’s Northern Suburbs. The courses are unique and personal, and receive regular praise for being fun and informative. The groups you’ll cook in are small, and you can book the entire evening for you and your friends to learn new techniques, taste new flavours, and sample a range of local wines.
59 Ibis Street, Sonstraal East, Durbanville, Cape Town, South Africa, +27 21 975 3702
If you’re looking for fun, informative and entertaining cooking classes in the heart of peaceful Hout Bay, then Stir Crazy will have you covered. They offer interactive classes that provide insight into various culinary arts. The focus is on creating a relaxed, intimate environment in which to learn about various cooking styles and techniques, from Thai to tapas and dim sum.
If you have a sweet tooth, clear your schedule and head to the Lindt Chocolate Studio at the V&A Waterfront Silo District. There, expert chocolatiers will teach you about a range of sweet delicacies, from making chocolate macarons, truffles and the ultimate chocolate cake, to the art of pralines, and even the secrets of chocolate décor. They also cater for younger chocolate fans with a variety of children’s classes.
Cape Town’s Jenny Morris, otherwise known as the Giggling Gourmet, is a celebrity chef with a presence across local media, and yet her cooking schools are personable, charming and intimate. The Giggling Gourmet facilitates classes for everyone from first-time cooks through to aspiring chefs. The most popular courses run over consecutive weeks and aim to teach participants important techniques taken from global cuisines. The classes all take place in the state-of-the-art teaching kitchen with high-end cooking equipment.
27 Somerset Rd, Cape Town, South Africa, +27 21 425 3000
Silwood is one of the country’s most respected cooking schools. Their alumni have ended up in the an array of celebrity chef kitchens. Though they run professional courses for aspiring chefs, they also offer part-time courses and cooking schools for people who want to take their skills to the next level. The part-time courses cover topics like cooking for students, baking, sweet treats, and steak masterclasses. They also offer children’s classes and can organise birthday party cooking events.
40 Riverton Rd, Rondebosch, Cape Town, South Africa, +27 21 686 4894
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.