From city halls to underground bars, Cape Town has an ever-growing live music scene that showcases the best of the local up-and-coming artists in every genre. Heaving with alternative sounds on any given night, and a popular destination for lovers of jazz music, Cape Town has an abundance of venues and smoky speakeasies, where soulful crooning can be heard amongst the general chatter.
The Crypt Jazz Restaurant
If you count yourself amongst the cultured, velvet smoking jacket wearers, then it is highly recommended that you head to the hottest Jazz spot in town; the cool, candlelit Crypt. Situated under St Georges Cathedral, this venue offers live Jazz music five nights a week. The line-up, which is never the same two nights running, has a band to suit everyone’s tastes. The Crypt offers every kind of performance from traditional Jazz bands to the most up-and-coming Jazz artists in the Cape. Although it is first and foremost a Jazz bar, The Crypt does offer food and snacks to accompany performances. Booking is recommended and there is an entrance fee of R45
Opening hours: Tue-Sun: 5.30pm – 12.00am (Music) 7.00pm – 10.00pm
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Watch out for: Local and international jazz names
Corner of Wale and Adderley Streets, Cape Town, South Africa +27 (0) 79 683 4658
Weinhaus + Biergarten (formerly &Union)
Best known for its craft beer, this Portuguese-owner beer garden plays host to live music groups every Tuesday and Wednesday evening from 8pm. The perfect evening out with friends, there are a variety of bands and music styles to watch, with a different band playing during each performance. Sit outside on a warm summer evening, enjoy an ice cold beer and gourmet pub food, and soak up the live music vibes. If you’re feeling brave, strike up a conversation with the inevitable hipsters sharing your picnic table (seating is limited).
Opening hours: Tue-Sat: 3.00pm – 12.00am (Music) 8.00pm – 10.00pm
Watch out for: The hipster vibe and local bands
110 Bree Street, City Centre, Cape Town, South Africa +27 (0) 21 422 2770
Set in an old building but packed with modern ideas, Asoka is a glamorous bar and restaurant that derives its name from the third Mauryan Emperor of India. Its stylish interior is a mashup of cultures with original Victorian architecture, traditional Asian décor and contrastingly up-to-date DJ booth. The key feature of this venue, however, is the Tuesday evening Jazz performances. Every Tuesday from 8.45pm to 10.30pm the restaurant welcomes in guests to the sound of smooth, sultry Jazz tones. If the music is to your liking, extend your stay by ordering a meal, some tapas or one of the bar’s fantastic cocktails. For the party people, there is a DJ on standby to take over from the live act and they will ensure the remainder of your evening is full of equally excellent tunes.
Opening hours: Mon-Sat: 5.00pm – 2.00am
Watch out for: The jazz evenings
68 Kloof Street, Gardens, Cape Town, South Africa +27 (0) 21 422 0909
Inspired by the swanky Jazz joints of New York City, Piano Bar has a reputation as the grooviest spot in Cape Town. With a selection of live funk, soul, blues and jazz every night of the week from 8pm, there is always a constant hum of song surrounding this bar. If you want to hear something new, make sure to go on a Saturday evening when local musicians are given the opportunity to showcase their talent. As well being known for its live music and top quality food, Piano Bar is also known for its spectacular views of the mountain and surrounding village which are best seen at sunset.
Opening hours: Mon-Sun: 4.30pm – late
Watch out for: Local musicians on Saturdays
47 Napier Street, De Waterkant, Cape Town, South Africa +27 (0) 21 418 1096
The Waiting Room
The Waiting Room is an intimate venue jammed full of comfy couches and cushions for the tired end of the week workers. Situated above Cape Town’s most famous burger joint, Royale Eatery, the retro-chic bar plays host to a variety of live bands. Acoustic covers, hip hop beats and rising local talents are all to be seen entertaining audiences on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. If the music takes hold of your feet, there is a dance floor to get down on or a stunning rooftop balcony on which to enjoy a romantic slow dance under the stars.
Opening hours: Tue-Sat: 2.00pm – 2.00am
Watch out for: The rooftop balcony
273 Long Street, City Centre, Cape Town, South Africa +27 (0) 21 422 4536
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.