With the beautifully dynamic clash of the Atlantic and Indian oceans, South Africa’s 1,740-mile-long coast boasts some of the most stunning beaches in the world. With each one offering something different, there really is one for everyone – surfers, shark divers, horse riders, paragliders… The Cape in particular is a hugely popular destination for beach-goers all over the world, with its spectacular views and seaside towns. Here is our pick of the best.
Milnerton Beach – West Coast
Loved by locals and tourists alike for its scenery, Milnerton beach is famous for the lighthouse that guides boats into the picturesque Table Bay. Perfect for the snap-happy visitor, this beach boasts spectacular views of the mountain, dreamy sunsets and a palm fringed lagoon. Surfers should also ensure Milnerton is on their list as the waves found here inevitably draw large surfing parties, with summer surfers flocking down on a Wednesday morning to race into Big Bay. Some braver swimmers may even like to take a dip in the water, which is slightly cooler on this section of the coast, but perfect for a bracing ocean swim.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Little Bay, Bloubergstrand – West Coast
Often described as the seafood haven of the West coast, Bloubergstrand (‘blue mountain beach’ in Afrikaans) is a suburb about 20 minutes from the city centre of Cape Town. Another scenic treasure trove, Bloubergstrand’s beaches not only provide mountain scenes, but also an excellent view of Cape Town itself. Another popular attraction of this beach is the view of Robben Island where the ex-president of South Africa, Nelson Mandela, was held prisoner. Little Bay, the smaller counterpart of the surfers’ Big Bay, is the perfect place to enjoy the scenery and the sun with the family. Food is never a problem here with a number of restaurants bordering the beach. There is even an original fisherman’s cottage by the shoreline where you can enjoy freshly caught seafood while watching the sunset.
Clifton 1-4 – Atlantic Seaboard
Referred to as the ‘French Riviera of South Africa’, Clifton beaches dazzle with its white sand and turquoise waters. Divided by granite boulders, the four beaches – namely First Beach, Second Beach, Third Beach and Fourth Beach – ensure visitors are really spoilt for choice when deciding where to swim or surf. First beach is particularly popular amongst surfers and beach volleyball players – a veritable playground of sporting people. Second and Third beaches are the beaches of the 20-somethings looking for a party and a good tan. Fourth beach is perfect for families as it has lifeguards, excellent facilities and a place to buy cold drinks and snacks.
Camps Bay Beach – Atlantic Seaboard
Life in Camps Bay feels like an endless holiday that never gets tiring. With the mix of colourful pavement cafés and blazing beach days it is definitely worth a visit. Perfectly situated, Camps Bay is about 10 minutes from Cape Town city centre and Table Mountain and only 20 minutes from the V&A Waterfront. With plenty of thing to do, this beach is ideal for the active travellers. Between Camps Bay and Llandudno, for example, there is a labyrinth of underwater caverns to dive into and explore. Or you could take a picnic basket down to one of the beach’s grassy knolls and enjoy watching the rich and famous frolic on the beach below.
Boulders Beach – False Bay
False Bay is a firm family favourite. Strewn with 540 million year old boulders, Boulders Beach is home to a population of 2,000 African Penguins, known as the ‘city slickers’, who have decided to unanimously take control of this particular bit of coast. Although this is a paying beach, it is worth the small fee to spend the day in Cape Town’s best swimming shore with its safe, sheltered and gloriously warm waters. Due to the strict protection of its occupants the beach is always kept clean and the facilities, which include an outside shower, are well maintained. This is the perfect beach to have a sunset picnic with friends and family.
7am – 7.30pm (Dec-Jan)
8am – 6.30pm (Feb-Mar/ Oct – Nov)
8am – 5pm (Apr – Sept)
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.