With its frenetic traffic and often over-exaggerated reputation for crime, Johannesburg can be intimidating for newcomers. But the city is an incredible place to explore if you give it a chance to show you its good side.
Joburg – South Africa’s biggest city – lends itself particularly well to walking tours, which allow travellers to experience the city from the ground, without the intimidation of exploring alone. Fortunately, the city has a diverse cadre of talented, passionate walking-tour guides who make it their mission to showcase the city’s fascinating history and culture. Here are a few of those guides, explaining in their own words why they do what they do.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Charlie Moyo from JoburgPlaces
JoburgPlaces, one of the city’s oldest walking-tour companies, is based in a restored historic building on Gandhi Square. Moyo specialises in walking tours around the inner city, and is known for his animated recounting of Joburg’s tumultuous history.
“I started tour guiding by accident – my background is hospitality,” says Moyo. “I never thought in a million years that I would ever walk with international guests, but [JoburgPlaces founder] Gerald convinced me otherwise. Three years later, I am happiest when I am in the streets telling our history.”
Moyo’s favourite place to lead a group of travellers is on their signature tour to Marshalltown, which he describes as: “The best introduction to the city by far. It covers the entire history of migration, to the gold rush, and the boom and bust of Johannesburg to the current regeneration.”
Jo Buitendach from Past Experiences
Jo Buitendach founded Past Experiences after training as an archeologist and developing an obsession for connecting Joburg’s past with its present. “My heart pumps JHB Inner City, and there is nowhere else I could imagine guiding,” says Buitendach. “It’s a crazy, frenetic city, full of hardship but also so much light, and it energises me everyday. It also has amazing art and political history.”
Although Past Experiences conducts many different types of walking tours, Buitendach has a particular interest in graffiti, street art and public art. She often conducts tours together with local street artists, who explain the meaning behind Joburg’s ubiquitous graffiti murals.
Gilda Swanepoel from Eenblond Tours
“Een blond” means “one blonde” in Afrikaans, and that’s what Gilda Swanepoel is – one blonde guiding travellers through the city on her own. After years crisscrossing South Africa in her pickup truck, Gilda founded Eenblond Tours and now makes a living showing visitors around her beloved hometown.
“I’m very drawn to my strange, vibrant city,” says Swanepoel. “Seeing that other people don’t have the guts or skill or curiosity to explore Jozi like I do, it became an urgent desire to share my knowledge with others. I’m glad I finally have the opportunity to do so.”
Swanepoel creates curated tours of Joburg neighbourhoods on the fringes of the inner city. Her food tour of Fordsburg, Joburg’s historically Indian community, is particularly popular with locals and foreigners alike.
“I’ve made strong, loving connections in every community,” she says. “From the bohemian, slightly crazy proprietors in Melville, the unique multi-cultural bunch in Brixton, the sweet and kind entrepreneurs in Fordsburg and the vibrant, friendly Sowetans.”
Kennedy Tembo from Microadventure Tours
Kennedy Tembo of Microadventure Tours is Joburg’s adventure tour guide, leading cycling tours through city streets and races to the top of Ponte City, Africa’s tallest apartment building. Tembo also leads tours for the less energetic, including walking tours and quirky high teas in historic mansions.
Tembo’s favourite walking tour is his coffee tour, which leads guests to interesting coffee shops throughout the inner city. “I created it to make a difference to other smaller businesses by bringing in feet to their doorsteps… Being part of an ecosystem where we all thrive together,” says Tembo. “I also touch on the regeneration [of Joburg], showing people the examples of what is currently happening. So it’s not only about coffee.”
Ayanda Mnyandu from City Skate Tours
Ayanda Mnyandu, who grew up in Joburg, founded City Skate Tours to provide a different way for tourists to explore downtown: atop a skateboard.
Mnyandu’s tours are open to beginners and experienced skateboarders alike and start with a skateboarding lesson in Joburg’s trendy Maboneng precinct. The group then visits some of the city’s skateboarding hotspots, including the old City Hall and Beyers Naudé Square. Those who don’t feel comfortable on a skateboard are welcome to walk.
“I grew up skateboarding around the inner city of Johannesburg,” says Mnyandu. “As skateboarders, we see cities as urban playgrounds, and this is why we always look like we’re having fun irrespective of where you find skaters in the city. This is why I love doing my tours – it gives people the opportunity to see Joburg from a new, fun and unique perspective.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.