Constitution Hill is home to a former military fort as well as South Africa’s Constitutional Court and has a history rife with war stories, political imprisonment and human rights. Today, however, it functions as a living museum and a symbol of democracy. Here’s how what was once a site of great despair has been revamped to tell the history of South Africa’s people.
The need for a prison
The prison’s story starts in 1892 when Paul Kruger, then president of the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek (ZAR), approved the construction of a high-security prison complex. The site was strategically chosen as it sits high on a hilltop overlooking the city of Johannesburg.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Old Fort, which was also eventually used to hold prisoners, was built around the complex in 1896 after a British group attempted to overthrow the ZAR government. Prisoners of war were held in the fort during the South African War (previously the Second Anglo-Boer War).
Number Four, another section of cells, was opened in 1902 as a solution to mass overcrowding in the prison. What was meant to be a temporary jail, was used for 80 years and as such became a permanent fixture.
The Nationalist government came into power in 1948 and with it came Apartheid. With Apartheid came more prisoners and no solution to the already existing issue of overcrowding. Between 1947 and 1948 more than 90,000 prisoners were incarcerated and managed by approximately 200 warders.
Within the Old Fort, Women’s Jail and Number Four, a multitude of well-known men and women were kept as prisoners. These include Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi, Fatima Meer, Joe Slovo and many more. During the 1950s and 1960s more and more political prisoners were entering the fort. This is also where Nelson Mandela and Oliver Tambo were held before the notorious Treason Trial of 1956.
Together with these prominent figures, hundreds of ‘ordinary people’ of all races, cultures and ages were incarcerated here. Constitution Hill was one of the most established sites of incarceration in the country and along with thousands of prisoners came issues of terrible sanitation and disease.
The precinct closed almost a full century after opening in 1893 before being revamped in the late 1990s and early 2000s to become the living museum it is today.
The Old Fort and Number Four were officially closed in January 1983 and the site was abandoned. In the early 1990s redevelopment started taking form with the aim of turning the site into a museum.
On March 21, 2004, on Human Rights Day, the Constitutional Court was inaugurated and the following day the site was opened to the public. Today it honours the country’s struggle to democracy.
Book a tour
There are many different tours on offer, so whether you’re strapped for time or have a day to spend, you can book accordingly.
The hour long highlights tour is ideal for those who are only spending a short time in Johannesburg while the full tour will take visitors through the whole complex, including the Constitutional Court, in two hours.
There’s also a night tour which starts with sundowners at the Old Fort and ends off with dinner at The Hill restaurant.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.