If you’re the kind of couple who enjoy the quieter, more simple things in life, then the Eastern Cape awaits to fulfill your desires. Far from the tourist crowds of Cape Town or the city rush of Johannesburg, this laid-back province takes one day at a time to savor each moment and just be for a while. So grab your honey’s hand and come on in, the Eastern Cape is waiting to stoke the fires of love and reveal romance.
Take a walking tour of the friendly city
Port Elizabeth is a friendly and relatively safe place to roam around, and the old city center is filled with historical buildings and points of interest. Couples can amble along on their own route or join up with a city tour. Once you are done head down to the beachfront for a refreshing cocktail served on the beach.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Get cozy in the treetops
While strictly speaking, Plettenberg Bay falls into the Western Cape, it nevertheless fringes the border of the Eastern Cape, lying an easy two-hour drive from Port Elizabeth. Surrounded by amazing forests and the pristine natural landscape it, therefore, makes sense to stay in a tree house. And not any old treehouse at that, as the area has a wide selection of awesome treetop accommodation, ranging from comfortable and cozy to five-star luxury. Couples looking for a romantic retreat won’t find any better, with suites ensconced in foliage and the utmost in privacy and peace guaranteed.
Take a road trip
After spending some time secluded in the treetops, you may feel the need to stretch your legs a bit and explore. The Eastern Cape is perfect for unplanned, whimsical road trips that take you nowhere in particular without feeling like you are lost in the woods. For something different, head off from Port Elizabeth towards the Kouga region, where pretty dairy farms dot the landscape and tiny, rural farming villages will amaze you with their hospitality and genuine friendliness. Stop for lunch at Tolbos Country Restaurant in Patensie for quirky scenery and an amazing meal. If the area takes your fancy then there are plenty of guesthouses and bed and breakfasts offering overnight accommodation that are usually not very busy and don’t require prior booking.
Cuddle up on a wildlife safari
Many visitors to the Eastern Cape will be surprised to find there are a great variety of top-class wildlife reserves offering quieter, more intimate wildlife encounters than the ever popular Kruger National Park and other reserves around the Johannesburg area. Not far from Port Elizabeth is the famous Addo Elephant National Park, but those that take the time to venture slightly further will discover a couple’s paradise amid the bushveld and animals. Off the beaten track and away from the tourist crowds, these reserves are malaria free and picturesque, where lovers can unwind, enjoy some alone time, and hide out in the African bush for a while. Pampering comes standard at most these spots so why not spoil each other with a couples spa treatment and a candlelit dinner after a hard day on safari. Besides, nothing beats the sensual appeal of luxury Africa spa products massaged into your aching limbs with the sound of lions roaring in the background.
Smooch in a citrus orchid
The Sunday’s River Valley just has to rate as one of the prettiest and romantic regions in the Eastern Cape where citrus orchards are flanked by rows of rose bushes, all fed by the life-giving Sunday’s River. The history of the valley reaches as far back as Sir Percy Fitzpatrick, author of Jock of the Bushveld, while the beautiful farm estates in the area indeed do give one an Out of Africa old-world feel. Many of the working farms offer charming and quaint accommodation options, as well as tours around the citrus-scented farm. Take a picnic blanket and don your sun hats as you play the roles of old colonial lovers meeting for a secret rendezvous surrounded by orange blossoms and roses.
Watch the waves from Sunset Rock
If you want to lay claim to getting drunk on love at the southeasternmost point in the world then make your way to the little surfing village of Cape St Francis to find Sunset Rock. Don’t expect any road signs indicating how to get there, as this is one little spot the locals like to keep quiet about, but ask anyone how to get to the Wildside and you will soon figure it out. Take along a bottle of wine or any tipple of your choice, and perhaps a blanket, as it does get chilly, and snuggle up to wait for a natural spectacular. The cool breeze off the sea will give you good reason to get closer, while a smooth South African Pinotage should push up the love thermometer. What you do on the rocks under your blanket is up to you, but don’t forget to watch the sunset, a truly spectacular scene.
Share a seafood platter
End the perfect romantic evening with a seafood platter for two. Just 10 minutes from Cape St Francis lies a working port and harbor where you can pick up fresh delicacies, such as local calamari and line fish. Eat with your fingers while you watch boats bob in the bay and the evening slows down to an awesome conclusion.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.