Indians were among the earliest settlers in South Africa, as slaves were brought to the Cape in the 17th and 18th centuries. Today, South Africa has a large Indian population and Fordsburg in Johannesburg is especially associated with their colorful culture.
Fordsburg, in central Johannesburg, was once the site of much political turmoil. In the 1950s ,the area was announced as a whites-only suburb under the apartheid regime. Indian communities living in Fordsburg were forcefully removed and replaced to Lenasia. During the 1970s, protests by some of the Indian shopkeepers became a daily occurrence and the government eventually agreed to allow them to own businesses in Fordsburg. The only catch was that they had to run their stores from a purpose-built shopping center, Oriental Plaza, which still stands today.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Today, however, Fordsburg has restored much of its multicultural characteristics and is home to one of the largest Indian community in Johannesburg. It’s also one of the best places to treat yourself to authentic Indian cuisine.
Remember that this is a predominately Muslim area, as such most restaurants and street stalls are Halaal and, as such, alcohol-free.
Eat on the cheap at Bismillah
Although the menu includes a few non-Indian dishes, Bismillah serves authentic Bangladeshi curries and biryanis, all at extremely reasonable prices (which is, of course, another drawcard Fordsburg flashes every now and again). Patrons can pick up a hearty serving of chicken curry for as little as R50 (£2.80)!
Visit Oriental Plaza for a taste of history…and samosas
This shopping center opened in the 1970s as a dedicated spot for Indian tradesmen to sell their goods. With over 360 stores selling everything from bridal wear to sari fabrics and spices, it’s any shopper’s dream come true. What’s more, this is where you’ll find the best samosas in Johannesburg.
Enjoy vegetarian Indian dishes
Shayona is a strictly vegetarian restaurant and what started as a small business has expanded into a growing franchise. From delicious spinach and artichoke dips to paneer curries, dosa, and more, this is the place to go if you follow a meat-free diet. If you have an appetite, opt for the Thali, which is a delicious serving of two roti, two curries, rice, dal or kadi, and papadum.
Stock up on Indian produce at Fordsburg Square Flea Market
Wander through the bustling market and stop for a bite to eat at the fast-food stalls. Keep an eye out for a vendor selling fresh coconut juice from a trolley. There’s also the Divine Bakery, a paan stand, and many sweetmeat stores.
Try Pakistani cuisine at Daawat
Daawat is the place to go when craving Pakistani cuisine. Meat dishes are mostly flavored with a combination of onions, garlic, ginger, turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander, and salt, and the chef’s choice includes the lamb chop masala curry. The curry variety is large and the dessert menu is not to be overlooked. Try the Pista Kulfi, a Pakistani rice ice cream made using lightly whipped double cream, milk rice, flour, and sugar, and seasoned with almonds, pistachios, and rose water.
70 Mint Road
Satisfy your sweet tooth at Shalimar Delights
Using quality ghee, milk, and dried fruit in their recipes, Shalimar Delights serves a wide range of impressive (and authentic) sweet meats. From barfi (milk based), to laddu (sphere-shaped sweets), and ghulaab jaman (a classic milk-based treat), to rasgulla (a syrupy dessert), you’ll find it here.
Book a tour
Ancient Secrets takes guests on an immersive tour of Fordsburg’s best restaurants, markets, and more. For event details and to book, join the Ancient Secrets Facebook group.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.