Cape Town is an ideal destination for holidaying couples. The spectacular scenery might set the initial tone, but the city follows through with incredible hotels, remarkable restaurants, and a slew of romantic activities. Whether you’re here to spend your honeymoon together, or simply looking for a way to enjoy your significant other’s company, here are some options to consider.
Long walks on the beach
It may be a cliche, but there’s nothing quite like a long walk on the beach, particularly at sunset. If the weather’s playing along, and the wind isn’t pumping too hard, make your way to one of the city’s famous beaches. Close to the city, you can’t go wrong with Clifton or Camps Bay. Slightly further afield, Blouberg and surrounding beaches offer incredible postcard perspectives of the city and Table Mountain, which is particularly romantic as the sun slips behind the Atlantic.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Take in a stunning sunset
Cape Town serves up some of the world’s best sunsets, and there are dozens of places from which to enjoy the sight. If you’re an active couple, why not head up Lion’s Head or Table Mountain for an incredible aerial view? Though it’s possible to descend Lion’s Head after dark, provided you have a headlamp or torch and take it slow, it’s not recommended to be on Table Mountain after dark. For that, there’s the Cableway, which has at least one car heading back to ground level after dark each evening, weather permitting.
If you’d prefer to be closer to sea level, head to another top sundowner spot in Cape Town and make it your own.
Views for miles
Cape Town has many elevated spots that boast unparalleled views of the city and oceans. From majestic Table Mountain, Signal Hill and Lion’s Head to Chapman’s Peak and the Silvermine Nature Reserve, there is no shortage of idyllic locations providing the perfect setting for sundowners.
Depending on your interests, hike to the top of Table Mountain or take the cable car — there’s a restaurant at the top that serves a range of alcoholic beverages to celebrate your partnership. If you’re pressed for time, a drive along Signal Hill, with views of the harbour, ocean and twinkling city lights is also painfully romantic.
Further south, visit the Old Lighthouse at Cape Point. If the moment takes you, you can be that couple and re-enact the iconic scene from Titanic where Jack and Rose stood at the bow of the ship.
In the northern suburbs, the Taal Monument on Paarl Mountain is a superb location for a picnic with its glorious views over the Cape Winelands.
Cape Town knows how to do high-end romantic hotels, but you’ll also find accommodation to suit all budgets.
If you’re looking for luxury and romance from a large hotel, head to the likes of the Twelve Apostles, One&Only, Tintswalo Atlantic, Mount Nelson, or Cape Grace. If you prefer a more personal touch, there are also dozens of boutique hotels dotted throughout the city.
If you’d rather skip the idea of a hotel, then consider booking your own apartment — there are hundreds of Airbnb spots located throughout the city, and also further afield with incredible sea or mountain views.
Stroll or picnic in stunning scenery
Cape Town’s variety of gardens and parks are an ideal and inexpensive setting for romantic walks, picnics and languid lunches under the shade of oak trees.
Visit the Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden and admire the variety of flora on display — it’s perfect for a lazy walk, brisk stroll, or a lengthy picnic beneath the shade of a large tree. On Sundays in summer, the gardens come to life with a sunset concert that’s a popular event for groups and couples alike. Closer to the city, there’s the Company’s Gardens, and the tranquil Green Point Urban Park just metres from the ocean.
If you’re more a fan of slow, scenic walks, you can leave the confines of the Green Point Urban Park, and saunter hand in hand along the serene Sea Point Promenade.
Get tipsy together
Wine estates are among the most romantic places to spend an afternoon with your partner. There are several beautiful estates both close to the city, and in neighbouring towns like Stellenbosch, Franschhoek, and Paarl. Many estates have in-house restaurants, but you can also just opt for a quick wine tasting or chocolate pairing before heading off to a new one.
Dine out at a fancy restaurant
There are dozens of incredible restaurants in Cape Town that will set the tone for any romantic evening. Whether you’re looking for a fine dining establishment with a view, the most exquisite food in a unique setting, or a hearty meal for two, the establishments around the city will have you covered. If it’s a special occasion, start off by making an advance reservation at one of these top 10 restaurants in Cape Town.
Watch a movie under the stars
Once the sun has set, you might want to consider another activity to keep the night going. During summer, the Galileo Open Air Cinema screens a host of romantic comedies, cult classics and award-winning documentaries at various open-air locations around the city after sundown. Tickets usually sell out quickly, so be sure to book in advance. An equally romantic alternative is the Pink Flamingo Rooftop Cinema at the Grand Daddy Hotel, which screens a selection of popular films and includes a welcome drink, a bag of sweets and popcorn with your ticket.
If the weather turns bad, there’s always the quaint and quirky Labia Theatre — one of the oldest cinemas in town.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.