South Africa’s landscapes are as diverse as her people. From miles of coastline to semi-arid deserts, majestic mountains to incredible national parks, here are 20 photos that will make you want explore South Africa ASAP.
Cape Point, Cape Town
The most south-western tip of Africa juts out into the azure Atlantic Ocean.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Table Mountain, Cape Town
The iconic flat-topped Table Mountain provides a magnificent backdrop to the city below.
Boulders Beach, Cape Town
Cute African penguins bask in the sunshine on Boulders Beach.
Namaqualand National Park, Northern Cape
Carpets of wildflowers as far as the eye can see…
Tsitsikamma Forest, Western Cape
This enchanting Afromontane forest on the Garden Route is a sight to behold.
Cango Caves, Western Cape
The 20 million year old Cango cave system consists of a series of hidden chambers cut deep into a limestone rock layer.
Hole in the Wall, Coffee Bay, Eastern Cape
According to Xhosa folklore, this rocky archway is a gateway to the afterlife…
The Great Karoo, Northern Cape
Although a semi-desert area, an abundance of underground water makes sheep farming possible.
A herd of Springbok, Northern Cape
The Springbok is the national animal of South Africa.
Quiver Tree Forest, Northern Cape
These unusual looking trees are part of the Aloe family and live for up to 400 years.
Richtersveld, Northern Cape
Seemingly devoid of life, this dry mountainous region is regarded as the only Arid Biodiversity Hotspot on the planet, with an astonishing variety of plant, bird and animal life.
Augrabies Falls, Northern Cape
The Khoi people called it ‘Aukoerebis’, meaning ‘place of great noise’, as the powerful flow of the Orange River thunders its way down the 184 foot (56 meter) waterfall.
Addo Elephant Park, Eastern Cape
More than 600 of these gentle giants roam the plains of the Addo Elephant Park.
The Amphitheater, Drakensberg Mountain Range, KwaZulu-Natal
The northern Drakensberg forms a spectacular natural amphitheater in the Royal Natal National Park.
Blyde River Canyon, Mpumalanga
The magnificent Blyde River Canyon is flanked by the ‘Three Rondavels’ to the right, named for their resemblance to bee-hive shaped African huts.
Kruger National Park, Mpumalanga
Hearing the roar of a lion is an unforgettable experience…
Giant Baobab tree, Kruger National Park
The giant Baobab tree reaches heights of between 16 to 98 feet (5 to 30 meters).
Bourke’s Luck Potholes, Mpumalanga
This geological wonder is the result of centuries of water erosion where the Treur River meets the Blyde River.
Olifants River, Limpopo
One of many great rivers that snake its way across South Africa.
Berlin Falls, Mpumalanga
The Berlin Falls were named by German miners during the South African gold rush.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.