If you’re looking for a laugh in Cape Town, one of these venues should have you chuckling at least one night a week.
Cape Town has a thriving stand-up comedy scene. It may not be packed full of international A-Listers, but on any given night of the week you’ll be able to catch a handful of the city’s established and up-and-coming comedians doing their best to elicit a few laughs.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Most of these venues are bars, restaurants or nightclubs that double up on at least one night per week as a stand-up comedy venue. Though some performances are hit or miss, you’ll get to see comedians trying out new jokes, or delving into the archives of their greatest hits. And there are few better ways to get under the skin of the city than to sit back and take in a performance at one of these spots.
This is the only dedicated comedy club in Cape Town. It’s located on the V&A Waterfront precinct, and managed by legendary Capetonian comedian Kurt Schoonraad. Outside of peak season it operates from Wednesday to Sunday, but when summer hits you can find top comedic acts seven nights a week. The venue attracts the best live acts in the country, so there’s no chance you’ll cringe over a poorly rehearsed act.
On Sundays, this backpackers bar and live music venue in Observatory turns into a platform for comedians to try out new material and get a few laughs from the diverse crowd. Though the venue has gone through various iterations over the years, it’s been a recognised stand up venue for nearly two decades. Many top local acts cut their teeth on the stage there, and there’s always a chance one of them will make a guest appearance to get the crowd going.
135 Lower Main Rd, Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa, +27 21 460 0458
Once a month the Hanover Street Night Club in the GrandWest Casino transforms into a stand-up comedy venue. The first Sunday of the month features a selection of the city’s best performers, and it’s not uncommon to see a few comedians from up country play a quick gig here. This is a popular event in a good venue, and more often than not delivers some reliably hilarious performances.
1 Jakes Gerwel Drive, Goodwood, Cape Town, South Africa, +27 21 505 7777
The Fireman’s Arms is one of the oldest pubs in Cape Town, and the atmosphere here sets the tone perfectly for a night of comedy. The comedy nights take place every first and last Tuesday of the month, and you’ll find some of the city’s best acts performing their tightest sets. It’s a well-run event in one of the better and more popular venues for a stand-up show, so tickets usually sell out well in advance.
Most people know Mzoli’s as the ultimate Sunday hangout. But head there on Wednesdays and you can catch some of the city’s funniest comedians performing to a boisterous crowd. The warm up acts are hit and miss with a selection of newcomers, but you’ll always find at least one established act to tie it all together at the end.
Ny 115, Guguletu, Cape Town, South Africa, +27 21 638 1355
Beerhouse offers an impressive range of local and imported beers every night of the week in the main venue, and a selection of Cape Town’s best comedy acts every Wednesday night in the small side room. It’s an event that welcomes newcomers onto the stage, but it’s also likely that you’ll witness one or two tried and tested locals, or a few out-of-towners, hop up on stage.
223 Long St, Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town, South Africa, +27 21 424 3370
The CTICC is the biggest event and function centre in Cape Town. Though they tend to host more traditional expos and conferences, when the big international acts appear in town you’re likely to find them performing here. Though far from your intimate underground venue, it’s a slick and efficient experience perfect for more established performances.
Convention Square, 1 Lower Long St, Cape Town, South Africa, +27 21 410 5000
The bar at the River Club golf course and driving range hosts a popular stand-up comedy show on the last Thursday of the month. The lineup changes regularly and features a variety of local performers. The in-house Slug and Lettuce, also serves up typical pub food and serves well-priced beer.
Liesbeek Pkwy & Observatory Rd, Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa, +27 81 249 7549
Baxter Theatre straddles the gap between the CTICC and the smaller comedy venues. It’s traditionally a theatre, but plays host to regular one-man shows and occasional stand-up events. It’s one of the few theatres in the city that regularly features some of the country’s most popular stand-up comics, and it’s always worth checking out their lineup to see what’s in store.
Main Rd, Rondebosch, Cape Town, South Africa, +27 21 685 7880
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.