Food trucks are popping up all over and have proven to be a popular choice when it comes to grabbing a bite. Whether you’re after a hearty meal or a cup of quality coffee, here’s our round up of Johannesburg’s tastiest food trucks.
Roaming Grind Coffee Co.
Roaming Grind Coffee Co., a family run business, is a mobile coffee shop serving espresso-based drinks, and known especially for their amazing frappuccinos. To get your caffeine fix find them at markets and other events all over the city, or better yet, book them for a private function.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Amexicano whips up delicious American style burgers as well as Mexican favourites ranging from tacos to tortas. Everything – from the mayonnaise to the patties they use – is handmade, fresh and sourced from local suppliers to ensure quality and the best flavours.
Balkan Burger is all about adding a twist to traditional Serbian cuisine, with the Original Balkan Burger as their signature dish. Served in folded ‘somun’ bread (similar to a pita) and topped with delicious vegetables and a salad mix, this is street food at its best!
The Knickerbocker Ice Cream Company
The Knickerbocker Ice Cream Company is all about, you guessed it, artisanal ice cream, sorbet and frozen yoghurt. That isn’t, however, where the fun stops – they also serve waffles, pancakes, milkshakes, wine popsicles and sundaes. They’re the first of their kind in South Africa and their fixed parlour can be found in The Stables Village Market in Broadacres.
This is pizza like you’ve never tasted before. Bearded Fella uses imported Italian flour and homemade Napolitana sauce (made with a whole bottle of white wine) to set their menu apart from the rest. Find them on Friday’s during lunch time at The Hoods in Sandton and check out their website for upcoming events.
Treat – The Gourmet Beverage Company
Treat, previously known as Full of Beans, serves everything from coffee to frozen yoghurt, mocktails, bubble tea and cold pressed juices. This is the place to go to quench your thirst. And while you’re at it, don’t skip out on their ginger beer and lemonade.
A proper wood fire inside the truck means that The Brohemian puts together some of the most mouth-watering pizzas – from classics to inventive concoctions. They serve the crowds at First Thursdays in Rosebank as well as at events around the city.
We’re talking a whole smorgasbord of delicious meals when it comes to Chilli Chef. The brainchild of Chef Dalmain Samuel, who’s worked all over the globe, this food truck serves Indian inspired dishes that bring the heat. Expect bunnychows, burgers and more!
Culture Kitchen feeds hungry festival goers around the country. Their menus change regularly and patrons will find everything from BBQ pulled pork buns to eggs Benedict, as well as more refined items, ideal for private events.
The Filthy Moustache
Maison Belge brings the best of Belgium to Johannesburg – from waffles to frites (made from Belgian potatoes) and even beer, this is a one-stop shop for everything you need to fill your hunger.
From traditional style hamburgers to more inventive meals, Imbuzi Café has something for everyone. Their eland burger is a great combination of South African flavours. For those who like something more spicy, try the burrito. Find Imbuzi Café once a month at the Deep Roots Night Market in Pretoria and keep an eye on their Facebook page for event listings in Johannesburg.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.