Afternoon tea in Cape Town is typically a lavish affair: think tiered cake stands with any number of bite-sized sweet and savoury items on offer. Many Cape Town hotels and cafés have embraced the concept of a traditional high tea, while others have put a modern twist on this opulent affair. Whether you’re looking for a classic high tea, or one with a twist, these 10 spots in Cape Town should have you covered.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Mount Nelson Hotel
Mount Nelson Hotel is synonymous with all things classic and colonial, and their famous afternoon tea is no different. Pull up a comfortable chair in their naturally lit lounge and indulge in a feast of treats. On offer is a selection of pastries, cakes and savoury sandwiches, which you can enjoy while soft live piano music is played nearby.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Cape Grace
The Cape Grace spares nothing when it comes to creating a memorable high-tea experience. Like the hotel, it’s a classy affair, and you can relax in the library while savouring a variety of sweet and savoury treats, all served with a pot of imported tea.
Taj Cape Town
Taj Cape Town offers one of the most popular high teas in the heart of the city. This exquisite hotel on Wale Street takes a decidedly sweet approach to the concept, with almost all dishes on offer including varying amounts of chocolate. You’ll find everything from chocolate scones to chocolate éclairs on offer, as well as a wide selection of loose-leaf teas to help you wash them down.
Kirstenbosch Tea Room
If you’re looking for one of the city’s less pretentious, but surprisingly scrumptious, high-tea options, pay a visit to the Kirstenbosch Tea Room. They offer an English tea for two, which features a selection of classic sandwiches, quiches and scones, along with a wide selection of imported teas.
The Twelve Apostles
The Twelve Apostles is a luxurious hotel with a truly remarkable outlook over the Atlantic Ocean and the collection of mountains of the same name. The afternoon ‘Tea by the Sea’ is a decadent variation on the tradition; you can expect cream scones, chocolate brownies, sandwiches and a wide selection of teas and coffees. The location, along with the exquisite foods, make this a popular treat for locals and visitors alike.
One&Only Cape Town’s Vista Bar & Lounge hosts one of the city’s most modern and extravagant afternoon teas. It takes place every day between 2.30pm and 5.30pm, and there’s usually musical accompaniment to amuse you while you work your way through a large selection of treats. The focus of the afternoon tea is on all things sweet, from cookies and cheesecake right through to éclairs and macaroons, and you can wash them all down with a wide selection of teas and coffees.
The Table Bay
Afternoon tea at The Table Bay at the V&A Waterfront is a tranquil affair, thanks to the stunning views of Table Mountain and the harbour and the soft tinkling of the piano in the background. The classic décor of the hotel sets the tone for its afternoon tea, which tends towards a traditional approach, with a range of delicacies prepared by the in-house team of expert chefs.
High tea at Cellars-Hohenort is a more adult affair, with a wide range of savoury treats with a deliberately low-carb angle. You can expect roasted red peppers and goats’ cheese tarts, beef skewers and broccoli, followed by sugar-free fruit pavlovas and dark chocolate and beetroot cupcakes. Like many things at this celebrated hotel, this is an unmissable treat.
The garden lounge and patio at The Vineyard are perfect places in which to dine out on a delicious afternoon tea. It’s served daily between 3.30 and 5.30, and you can expect a mix of sweet and savoury items, ranging from lamb and mustard wraps to amazing salted-caramel brownie bars.
Granary Café at The Silo
The Granary Café at the stunning new The Silo hotel offers one of the city’s newest afternoon tea options; it’s called the Royal Tea, and you can expect to see the in-house pastry chef’s petit gâteaux, along with an endless array of sweet treats and savoury items.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.