Double the excitement, double the fun, double the chaos and double the expenses with twins. Twins provide an interesting opportunity to see two people become distinctively diverse despite sharing as many similarities as they do. Twin births are relatively uncommon occurrences based on recorded statistics, so it’s pretty much a scientific miracle when they do happen.
The birth rate of twins around the world varies depending on country and region. Research conducted by scientists from Radboud University and Oxford University found that Africa is home to the world’s highest rate of twin-births among regions in the developing world, with about 18 sets of twins per 1000 births. By comparison, Latin America and Southeast Asia record less than 10 sets of twins per 1000 births.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Igbo Ora Town
That is not the case for the south western town in Oyo State, where every household boasts at least a set of twins. Situated 80 kilometers (50 miles) north of Lagos State, Nigeria, the town is nicknamed the ‘Twin Capital of the World” with an estimated 2017 population of about 92,000 people. Igbo Orarecords an unusually high rate of twin births; while there isn’t any recent accurate statistics, a study carried out byBritish gynecologist Patrick Nylander from 1972 to 1982 recorded an average of 45 to 50 sets of twins per 1000 births in Igbo Ora.
The people see the birth of twins as an honor and a blessing from God, with some of them regarding twins as supernatural beings and accordingly worship them as deities. Others, however, subscribe to a different school of thought, which attributes the high birth rate of twins to a diet related condition.
The food allegedly producing the estrogen for multiple births
Yams are in the class of roots and tubers, grown in coastal regions of rain forests, wood savanna and southern savanna habitats. It is recognized as a staple of the Nigerian and West African diet, which provides high carbohydrate content and low fat and protein, accounting for about 200 calories of energy per daily serving.
Research into multiple twin births carried out by fertility experts at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital has suggested that the high level of consumption of natural hormone phytoestrogen found in yams eaten by Yoruba women could be the result of the high incidence of multiple births, as it is presumed to stimulate the ovaries to release eggs from both sides. A hospital gynecologist offered this by way of explanation: ‘These substances are usually linked to the release of more than one egg, which usually leads to twin pregnancies. That means that there is possibly an environmental factor that encourages the high level of this chemical substance’.
However, Dr Sulaiman Heylen, who serves as the Vice President of the Southern African Society of Reproductive Medicine and Gynecological Endoscopy, suggested that there is no empirical evidence for the high incidence of twin births in the town. Speaking to Africa Check, he said: ‘There is no scientific evidence that yams, or any other product or food, can increase a woman’s chances of having twins.’
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.