There are various fascinating aspects to the Jankara Market in Idumota, Lagos Island, Lagos. One aspect is its long-standing reputation as one of the most popular markets in the megacity, even after around 39 years of existence; offering herbs (agbo), poultry, food items, clothing, craftwork, and other household/common can be found within its coverage on and off Ojo Giwa and Idumagbo Streets.
This popular market, like some others in Lagos State, has withstood the tests of man-made disasters and demolitions. Most of the traders remain and devise innovative ways to continue to serve the needs of visitors. Some traders have been there for a decade or more at a stretch while others operate intermittently and return to establish new stalls at different times.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
To get to Jankara Market, travel either through the Carter, Third Mainland, or Eko Bridges to get to Idumota area. After arriving, stretches of interwoven streets crowded with people and lined with stalls—usually organised in sections by types of items sold—greet you. It is imperative to continue to ask for directions, especially after covering some ground, in order not to get lost or wander into the other markets surrounding Jankara unless exploring is on the agenda.
Standing at the T-Junction from Iga Idunganran Street are some of Jankara’s finest clocks and wristwatches stalls/shops. A right turn leads further into ‘clock-land’ while a left turn presents the choice of stalls to purchase other commodities.
The main Jankara Market buildings were razed in 2012 by a fire accident, and a ring of steel sheeting now surrounds the former location. However, traders have taken advantage of the immediate environment to carry on with the selling of their craft, poultry, produce, food stuff and condiments, home appliances, spare parts, and more. The demolition also displaced the tie-dye textile traders (most of whom have reportedly relocated to the Jakande Market in Lekki) who provided a key source of attraction for visitors with their activities, as well as the herbs and potions and crafts dealers, who moved further inward, away from their former site.
Paying a visit to the intriguing herbs and potions section is usually high on the to-do list of visitors to Jankara Market. Before getting to the location that houses the herbs and potions dealers (awon alagbo)—and also the aso-oke and beads traders—visitors will pass through the famous poultry stalls in Jankara. Sellers display live chickens and turkeys in cages for buyers to select from. On that same line, buyers can also choose to defeather their poultry and chop them up, take them away live, or have a taste of the kind of meal they might be in for by purchasing barbecued chicken from nearby stands.
The journey continues on into the area with herbs (and charms, according to some). Be careful because getting to this next stop requires traveling over a good distance of muddy ground mixed with coal from the nearby coal stalls. Thus, one tip to bear in mind: try to plan visits to Jankara in drier seasons or dress accordingly.
A variety of herbs are arranged neatly inside and in front of the stalls along with the calabashes used in the mixture of some of them. The use of the potions derived from the herbs range from ceremonial rites to curing of ailments. Next to the enchanting stalls are others spotting elaborate aso-oke materials and handmade beads ready for purchase and wear.
When planning to visit Jankara Market, visitors must be ready to spend a minimum of one hour sightseeing and window-shopping, though actual shopping can cost as much as three to four more. The market operates Mondays to Saturdays from around 8am-6pm.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.