A dashiki is a tunic worn by males and females that originated from West Africa. The word ‘dashiki’ originates from the Hausa ‘Dan ciki’, which means ‘shirt’. Dashiki fashion has gone beyond the shores of West Africa and is a popular wear in the United States, especially among people of African origin. The dashiki remains a popular fashion item, so here are places where you can buy dashikis in Lagos.
Located in the heart of Lagos Island, Balogun Market is a hub where you can purchase different varieties of items, such as clothing, bags, shoes and jewellery, to mention a few. Dashikis are available in the market, for men and women, in many colours, sizes and designs. Shops selling dashikis can be found on the side of Marina Street, by UBA’s head office. To access the market, buses are available from most parts of the mainland to CMS, and visitors to the market should alight at ‘Market Bus Stop’.
Idumota Market, popularly called ‘Eko’ by Lagosians, is located at the Iganmu axis of Lagos Island, and is one of the largest markets in Nigeria. All sorts of clothing, houseware, electronic and food items are sold in the market. People from all over Nigeria and beyond come to buy wholesale goods from Idumota Market. Dashikis in different designs can be bought all around the market, especially for those interested in buying large quantities for reselling, as this is one place buyers can get a good bargain.
The Lekki Arts and Craft Market, also known as Oba Elegushi International Market or Jakande Art Market, is a great place to buy traditional African items such as carvings, jewellery, clothings, shoes, and bags etc. The market is located at the fifth Roundabout on the Lekki-Epe Expressway, where visitors are treated to a display of many interesting garments in eye-catching colours.
Located in the Yaba axis of Lagos, Tejuosho Market is one of the most sought-after places in Lagos when it comes to clothing. The market was rebuilt a few years ago, and many modern buildings were erected for shopping activities, and the site also features car park spaces, advert spaces, children’s area and food court. The market is good place to get bargains on dashikis as it serves a significant part of the Lagos population.
A high-end boutique, located in Victoria Island in Lagos, Alara is reputed to be a one-stop shop for exquisite designer wears and many other fashion items. The boutique sells clothing from both Western and African designers, including dresses by Italian-Haitian designer Stella Jean, futuristic glasses by Kenya’s Cyrus Kabiru, to the python bags made by Zainab Ashadu, who is behind the Zashadu brand. Alara resides in a four-storey building where patrons can purchase African fashion, design and art and a selection of work by Western designers. Alara also has a gourmet restaurant.
Tae Afrika is located in Ikoyi, Lagos and is the home of exquisite ready-to-wear African clothing. Tae Africa is the brain child of Bisola Edun, the 2007 winner of the British Council International Young Fashion Entrepreneur of the Year prize.
Nigerian Online Stores
Dashikis can easily be purchased online if you don’t want to go through the hassle of going to markets or boutiques and bargaining. You can buy from Nigerian online stores such as Jumia, Konga, Jiji, OLX and Dressme Outlet. These online stores deliver straight to your door, or you can pick up your item at designated warehouses closest to you.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.