Nigeria has diverse cultures, languages, as well as religious beliefs. It is estimated that about half of its 170 million population are Muslim, with a significant number of these in the northern part of the country. While many monuments have been built as places of worship, there are some that stand out for their exquisite architectural designs. Here are some of the most beautiful mosques in Nigeria.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Abuja National Mosque
The national mosque in Abuja, Nigeria’s Federal Capital Territory, was built in 1984. It is located at Independence Avenue in the Central Business District. The mosque is among 50 most beautiful religious centres in the world, according to Hongkiat Survey. It has a gold-coloured dome and four minarets. Facilities within the mosque include a conference centre that can hold 500 people, an Islamic library and an Islamic school. The mosque is open to the general public – most muslim and non-muslim – except during prayers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bashir Tofa Mosque
The Bashir Tofa Mosque is located in the Gadun-Albasa area of Kano. It was named after Bashir Uthman Tofa, a one-time presidential aspirant in Nigeria. The mosque is said to be the most beautiful mosque in Nigeria.
Kano Central Mosque
The Kano Central Mosque was originally built in the 15th century. It was destroyed in the 1950s and later rebuilt with the help of the British. The usual practice is for the Emir of Kano to lead Friday prayers in this mosque. It is located in the Fagge area of Kano, on Abuja Road. It has a distinct green-coloured dome and two minarets.
Ilorin Central Mosque
The Ilorin Central Mosque was originally built in 1981 and then rebuilt due to dilapidation in 2007, by builders from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Nigeria. It is has a capacity for 20,000 people and it is said to be the second largest in Nigeria. The mosque is situated at the Oja-Oba area of Ilorin and has several domes and four distinct minarets.
Damaturu Central Mosque
The Central Mosque of Damaturu is located in the north-eastern part of Nigeria. The mosque, also known as Yobe Central Mosque, has several bell-shaped domes of olive-green colour and four distinct minarets.
Lagos Central Mosque
The Lagos Central Mosque is located in the heart of Lagos Island, on Nnamdi Azikwe Street, a few kilometres away from Tinubu Square in Lagos. The mosque was built in 1841 and used to be the national mosque until Abuja became the federal capital in place of Lagos.
Aiyepe Central Mosque
The Aiyepe Central Mosque was inaugurated in 2014, and is built on an area of 30,000 square metres, with the mosque building itself covering an area of 6,400 square metres. The mosque is said to have capacity for 5,000 worshippers at once and is reputed to be the largest in south-west Nigeria.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.